Monday, March 30, 2020

From MartijnN: A Small Affair

Hello everyone,

As this is my first contribution a little introduction might be in order. Like so many I took up wargaming in my teens, but eventually life got in the way. Since some time I have sort of returned, although I have always kept buying and collecting so my lead/ plastic mountain is sizeable enough. I haved followed the Challenges from Challenge Ate on. I took up the brushes again some time ago but never found the courage to join in.  I have always been a slow painter and not a very good one, but find painting helps me unwind and nowadays I have more time for it. Now I should just find some opportunities to actually get some games in, but in the present circumstances that obviously will have to wait.

As I have always dreamed of being able to recreate complete historical battles these days I tend to paint smaller scale stuff: 6mm WWII for Rommel, 10mm ACW for Age of Freedom, and I am now working on 6mm armies for 1859/ 1866/ 1871.

Here I present the provisional brigade formed from the corps cavalry of III and IV Prussian corps during the 1866 battle of Königrätz, consisting of 3rd Uhlans and 2nd Dragoons. The figures are from the excellent Baccus range and I have been experimenting with the Citadel Contrast paints, as well as using the trusted Vallejo acrylics.

Then there are two artillery batteries. The guns are more suited for the Franco-Prussian War, but at this scale who really cares? In the 1866 war the performance of the Prussian artillery was less than satisfactory, would you believe it, it being often outclassed by their Austrian counterparts.
Of course, being Prussians, they took steps to correct this and 1870 would be another game entirely.

As long as you don't look too closely (which you would not, normally; the darn things are tiny!) they more or less look the part I think. 

15 comments:

  1. It's interesting to see how well Contrast paints work on the small scale stuff. I've not tried it, as I thought they might simply look messy - but these are great!
    Like you, I prefer the mass historical battle, but I've no longer the eyesight for 6mm. It'd be nice to see a shot of one of your games, showing the mass.
    Looking forward to your next posting, Martijn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking Prussian cavalry and artillery! The 1859 -1871 period is really tempting!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tiny troops Martijn. Welcome to Quarantine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work -- no way would I have the patience at this scale!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Martijn. As an avid fan of 6mm I agree Baccus make great figures which you paint admirably!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Martijn, enjoy the Challenge 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, I love the late 19th century historical stuff! Great work! Yes, the battles of that period lend themselves to smaller scale figure...I hope to share a little of that myself as we go along!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on this tiny troops. The period has both colour and power so is very tempting. Plus almost everyone fights everyone else in a short period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the challenge. Your minis look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome aboard Martijn! Austro-Prussian War?! Very cool. Now, I don't think we've seen much of that over the years of the Challenge. Love the mass of the cavalry base!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welkom Martijn, nice entry and enjoy the experience that is the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice work I really like those bases

    ReplyDelete