Saturday, March 28, 2020

Introducing Myself - SimonG

While the circumstances might be extreme I'm glad to have a chance to join you all for the first time in a painting challenges having followed Challenge X with great interest for the past several months.

I am a returnee to the hobby after a 40 year break. Back in the late 70s and early 80s I was a teenaged member of the York Wargames Society and fielded an extensive LoTR army based around Minifigs D&D figures predominantly. I still recall fondly my massed ranks of pig faced orcs all painted in vibrant shades of enamel blue!


Wind forward the clock and now mostly retired and with time on my hands my wife encouraged me to find something new to do so here I am again!


Casting around for an area to focus I settled on the Hundred Years War, and most specifically the period around the emergence of La Pucelle d'Orleans with 28mm miniatures primarily from Perry (plastic and metal) with some Front Rank. Over the past three months I've worked through a French army all mounted on Impetus bases and am coming to the end of that before moving to the English.


Here's the last piece I worked on before the challenge -- a stand of Knights led by Jacques de Chabannes, Lord of La Palice -- home designed and laser printed banners and hand painted Tabard (don't look too closely 😆)





Funny thing is I've been putting off doing the mounted figures as I was worrying about painting horses -- turns out I actually love doing them -- they're so characterful and varied and I now find myself clipping pictures of different horses to act as references whenever I find them, the dark horse with the standard bearer is actually based off a Brooke rescue working horse on a calendar attached to our Fridge!

Anyway my first Challenge proper job is a stand of French crossbowmen using older Perry sculpts from Wargames Foundry. At first glance these are pretty unprepossessing with plenty of flash and mould lines. Thank god for MitreFast for attaching the separate crossbows and hands! Also my first time with adding bow strings which turned out to be fun.




But once you get the undercoat on they're actually really characterful (some great 'taches) and with lots of detail so should paint up nicely!




Going forward I apologise in advance for a lack of period variety but I can promise civilians, donkeys, carts, lots of archers and maybe some scenery


23 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Challenge, Simon. Great figures to start the ball rolling - hopefully you'll inspire me to restart my stalled HYW project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the madhouse Simon! Nice work on those knights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome (back) Simon to our world of painting minis and the Challenge. A very good restart and your painting abiities seem to be in good shape

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome Simon, I had a similar if short hiatus. It's a great thing to do

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all -- appreciate the warm welcome! As to my painting skills all I can say is way back when I wasn't aware of washes, proper brush care, static grass and loads of other things - there's so much available now (both tools and information) that I've really enjoyed learning and also being inspired by the work of others such as the posters on these blogs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Simon, great first post, welcome to the Challenge and welcome back to gaming. I'm not far from you in God's Own County so it's good to see the Yarkshire contingent increase by one.
    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken. Unfortunately I’m now in Kent not Yorkshire. Just returned after 25 years in the US

      Delete
  7. Great first post,looking forward to the crossbow men!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those knights look awesome. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice and good to see someone enthused about painting horses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the Challenge Simon! I both enjoyed your excellent cavalry and the links you provided. I love the old pig-faced orcs! (I need to dig mine up now) Also, I had not heard of the Brooke rescue and spent a good bit of time exploring all the very worthwhile things they do. A wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, glad you liked it but I wish I still had those old orcs. Funny thing is I had loads of other Middle Earth stuff but the orcs are all I can remember 🧐

      Delete
    2. I think I may have a couple stashed away somewhere...

      Delete
  11. Welcome back to the hobby Simon. Isn't it great that something we enjoyed as teenagers is still within our capacities as more senior memebers of society!
    I will watch your HYW project with interest, it is a period I have promising myself to start for some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to the colosseum of paints and games!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some very nice work on those knights - looking forward to seeing the infantry painted up as well@

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome and they look very nice! I'm quite a fan of Impetus and the basing I really enjoy.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hoi there Simon, welcome to the Curt's Clinic for Painting Addictions. Some great kniggits you've painted there for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome to the Challenge Simon. That's a great first entry!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking good! Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome Simon! Those are great looking medievals, love to see the home made banners and that tabard rocks.

    ReplyDelete