Sunday, May 24, 2020

From MikeV : Portuguese 4th Line infantry regiment and other assorted stuff

This week was not a very productive one.  Having maintenance works done in one's home is a very tough distraction to beat so the painting desk lay pretty quiet. I only managed to put out the 4th Portuguese line Fieira regiment, a total of just thirty two figures.  As usual, they are in 6mm and from Baccus. The regiment carries a regimental colour and a red regional colour to indicate it is from the south of Portugal. The northern regiments carried yellow colours and the central ones carried white. More of these in future hopefully.  The flags are home printed from the excellent warflag.com website. In Age of Eagles the Portuguese are classed as two-rank impulse infantry (being British-trained), hence the mounting of the unit in two ranks as opposed to the Spanish and most other armies of the period which are in three.





 In the meantime, however, I managed to keep the post office busy. Over the last couple of weeks I got a handful of splendid books on heraldry and medieval times from Book Depository and ebay.  I also got roads and rivers plus an Italian farmhouse from Timecast Miniatures.  Most of this terrain should make it to my painting desk soon so that I can complete my Albuera battlefield.  Again, more of this in future.


Keep healthy everyone and keep up the great work!




17 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful looking Portuguese regiment, Mike. Such great colour and groundwork. We vacationed in central and northern Portugal a few years ago (in and around Bucaco and Porto)and absolutely loved it. I tried to hit as many of the local battlefields as possible, but have not yet visited Albuera. Hope to do it sometime in the future though as I have Colborne's ill-fated brigade in 28mm and have always wanted to see the terrain in which it fought. Great haul of books and terrain too - a banner week, I'd say! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Curt! The Iberian peninsula is very much off my beaten track I am ashamed to say. Need to set my record straight once these restrictions are lifted and it’s safe to visit.

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking Portuguese troops! An excellent collection of additional resources too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! Yes, those books will come in handy for my future heraldry work.

      Delete
  3. Loving the Portuguese figures, Peninsula War will always be my first love 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken! The Peninsula is indeed a fascinating theatre.

      Delete
  4. Nice looking Portuguese. I thought at first they must be 15mm before I read your post. Looking forward to seeing Albuera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a million Noel! Need some more time to set the game up but I’m getting there.

      Delete
  5. Excellent work on the Portuguese. Love the flags, Warflags is a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warflags is a precious resource indeed. Thanks a lot Peter!

      Delete
  6. Really nice work on such tiny figures. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, they look great! The colonel in front adds just a little extra.

    ReplyDelete