Saturday, May 23, 2020

From NoelW: Three more unconnected offerings


I recently discovered Little Wars on Youtube. I’d heard about them before, of course, but never checked them out. So I was very pleasantly surprised by what I found, and binge-watched every battle in no time short. There are some great games in their videos and, if you don’t know them, I’d highly recommend them for a good combination of history and gaming, made entertaining by what appear to be some great personalities, and backed up by useful rules reviews and more general pieces on terrain-making etc. I don’t have any real criticisms, except I’d like to see many more, and especially more games that were in 15mm or 28mm.

It was also interesting to see Miles in all his glory, pulling off some tactical masterstrokes – at least, I’m sure that’s what he’d call them. I was also slightly surprised to find myself in one of them – I was an umpire in The Great Game, the massive Waterloo game at Glasgow University last year, reported in one of the Little Wars videos, so it shouldn’t have been a shock to find my ugly mug among the clips.

Anyway, one of the best of the Little Wars’ games is D-Day, using 6mm figs and  Sam Mustafa’s strategic game, Rommel. As the anniversary is approaching, I found it such an interesting game (and, in fact, well managed – according to the video, anyway!) that I thought I’d review our neglected 15mm WW2 collection and see what might be done on similar (but very cut down) lines.

My sons and I have a rather disorganised Flames of War collection, mainly from the early versions of the game. I was hoping we might have enough figures to stage the whole of D Day but that's probably rather too ambitious. It would also have to be a multi-table, and maybe even multi-room affair, it I was to pull it off. Although I’m lucky enough to have a dedicated wargames room, its angular shape and associated beams mean it can only accommodate two 6'x4’ tables, set at right angles and with a gap between them – though they can be bridged, if you’re prepared to crawl underneath. Not enough space for the required 7 15mm games, I think.

So, more likely I’ll settle for two of the beaches – one US, one Commonwealth – and one of the para drops. What I’m really missing for a D-Day scenario, though, is landing craft. A quick internet survey showed (a) that there aren’t many in 15mm available to buy and (b) it would probably be an expensive investment in any case. So I knocked together half a dozen very simple scratch-built models from card, based on the design of one I already owned from a forgotten second hand purchase. They’re very simple, functional models, but it only took a few hours to put them together, they'll certainly do the job and I’m happy with the results. Here they are heading for what looks like certain disaster:



The rest of my week has been spent finishing off figures I began much earlier in the lockdown. Firstly 15 Italians for my friend’s WW2 North Africa armies.


And secondly 18 Perry plastic Brits intended for the North West frontier. They’ll probably do service there, but I expect them to spend more time in the Sudan, despite wearing puttees.






Imaginary scoring for this lot: although the landing craft are notionally worth 60 points, they are such simple models that I’m only going to count them as half that. Plus 33 x 28mm foot at 165 points, making 195 points in total.

Together this brings me to a working total of 924 points of which, for the side challenge with Stuart I’ve a current total of a respectable 500 points.

Even so, against my original plan, I’m slipping further and further behind and time is running out:
Project
New Task
‘Points’
Old Task
‘Points’
Agincourt




AWI
Farmstead
3


Black Seas (1/700th)
2 merchants
20


British in Egypt: 1801


Generals
de Rolls’ regiment
30
60
Cape Wars
12 infantry
60


Carthaginians




Crusades
Command group
20


ECW




French in Egypt: 1801
Guns
50
Command
Gun crew
75
Frostgrave/fantasy
3 Treemen
24
Frankie
5
Italian Wars




Lord of the Rings




Minden (15mm)




Ottoman




Peninsular War


12 Spanish
60
Republican Romans




Sikh/Afghan Wars
Command stand
8 Irregulars
15
40


1860s British IF


Union rebasing
0
1880s, the Sudan
Buildings
15
18 British
90
Walmington/Sealion etc
6 landing craft
30
3 Civvies
6 zombies
Bandstand
15
30
2
Waterloo




WW2 Desert
3 trucks
30
15 Italians
65
Zulu War
NNI
Frontier Horse
Natal Carbineers
30
60
50
Pearson & Chelmsford
4 foot
25
20
TOTAL

447

477

10 comments:

  1. Good looking utility landing craft, I like your ww2 Italians and Brits and the money specific colonial Brits are great too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work. The home made landing craft look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice collection Noel. Those landing craft are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent entry Noel! I've enjoyed watching Little Wars as well (with, as you say, Miles in all his glory). I'll have to check out the Glasgow game to see if I can spot you! Your bespoke landing craft look very convincing for the amount of time you invested in them. Which Commonwealth beach were you thinking of doing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice mix of new stuff there Noel 👍 Like a bit of Little Wars myself, very well produced, just like Yarkshire TV 😂

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all.
    Curt: I'm thinking of Sword (and Omaha), mainly 'cos I've the relevant Ospreys. Should be able to put on a reasonable version of both. (And in the Glasgow video look for a hobbling umpire with a cane who seems to be about 95!)
    Ken: I keep meaning to check out Yarkshire TV, too - will put you next on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Noel, love to have you along at Yarkshire TV, could double my viewers 😂

      Delete
  7. Unconnected but nevertheless very good stuff! Or connected in the quality of their execution ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Puttees in the Sudan?! Heresy! Blasphemy! Poppycock! You'll have them fight your Italians next after wading ashore from those landing craft, I wouldn't be surprised! However, they still all look very good I have to admit, even if I can't count all buttons on those pictures!

    ReplyDelete