Friday, June 19, 2020

From PeteF: Basing Wellington's Army - Four More

Is this the last day of the Quarantine Challenge? I've kind of lost track - what with all the isolation and days seamlessly merging into each other. If it is, for my last post I put more of my dad's troops on bases, ready for a big wargame some day.


There are Belgian Jaegers, the 30th Cambridge, 92nd Gordons and 6th Dutch Militia. Three of the battalions are Minifigs. The Dutch militia are Hinchcliffe - Minifigs never got round to making Dutch militia. There were quite a lot of them in the 100 Days campaign and I recently realized my dad didn't get around to collecting every battalion - I've found placeholders where he did one or two officers for a unit but not all the infantrymen. If I'm going to be a completionist I'll have to do some Dutch - although I might leave it until after the French - so perhaps in my early 90s.  Or even the 2090s.



My dad put old style shiny paper flags on some of his regiments and I've kept them. With bare flagpoles I print a flag - in the case of the Dutch militia it's rather speculative. Soaking in white glue gives it more of that flapping in the breeze feel.



I've taken some close ups to share the beauty of 25mm Minifigs - my favourite scale. I enjoy the chunkiness of the little guys. They take me back to massive games in the dining room with my brother and childhood friends.





I like all the Dutch and Belgian troops in the army - it gives it some nice variety. Waterloo was very much a shared venture.


Many thanks to all on the Quarantine Challenge - I feel like I should have commented more on everyone's most excellent posts - the last 3 months have been surprisingly busy for all the isolation.  

May your ferules remain unclogged and your paints never run dry.

5 comments:

  1. I always love seeing more additions to your family's Waterloo Project. Well done Pete! Those Minifigs are so wonderfully minimalist but so great at the same time. Thanks for participating in the QC and I hope to see you out for Challenge XI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More old school awesomeness. Well done on getting so many figures refreshed and ready for battle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the old school minifigs and the family connection all the way through the challenge!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again a great post! I love the minifigs, but I myself started with Hinchcliffes and I still have a soft spot for those. Excellent work, this project of yours!

    ReplyDelete