Sunday, April 12, 2020

From Curt: 1812 Moscow Opolochenie


Just a wee submission this week to keep me honest.

I'm revisiting a project I began a few years ago - Napoleon's 1812 retreat from Moscow. I thought that since we're firmly in Spring's thawing embrace (well, almost), it might be safe to do something that is quintessentially 'winter' in theme.



So here is a trio of Moscow Horse Opolochenie

Who were the Opolochenie I hear you ask?  Sorry, folks, I have no freakin' clue. I only know they're Russian, they look rather cold and they seem to be dead set on doing some righteous (meaning deadly) work. 

Oh, and they have wonderful hats.


These boys have been sitting half-done on my hobby table for an embarrassing amount of time, so I thought the Quarantine Challenge the perfect vehicle to finally get them done-up and put in the cabinet.

You'll have to forgive me in this last shot. I indulged myself by excavating a few more models from this collection for a 'Duellist' inspired action shot.



These lads will give me another 30 points, putting my overall total to 80.

Thanks for dropping in!

-Curt


27 comments:

  1. You're right they do have wonderful hats! Great work Curt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do, don't they. I think I need to get one for next winter. :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing looking light cavalry. They seem eager to get stuck in to the enemy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. Yes, they do look rather purposeful, but I suppose large quantities of vodka and trying to keep warm will do that to you. :)

      Delete
  3. Why, the Russian militia. I didn’t even know there was a mounted component, but their pike-armed Moscow foot companions looked impressive enough (from a distance) to dissuade the French from a last breakthrough attempt at Borodino... and talking impressive, these are looking so good! Great painting once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go - thanks Martijn! Of course I could have exercised some judicious googlefu and found that out for myself, but that's what friends are for. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely looking Russian horse and suitably cold basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again Curt just lovely painting!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Fa la la...Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

      Thanks Ken. :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely paint job Curt, especially the subtle shading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice work on these mounted militia Curt. Great hats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are fantastic dude - and it looks like some just rode by this morning, as we waste yet another "spring" day here on the prairies with more f*cking snow. F*ck winter in the f*cking face with a bag of rusty nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes well, some people would actually like their kids to know what a real winter with snow actually is. We have only had one day of something resembling snow all winter...

      Delete
    2. Yes, we're having a bit of a slow start here as well. The snow is gone but the temperatures are just not there yet. It's looking better by mid week though!

      Delete
  10. Another gorgeous troop of figures Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smashing work!

    And I totally agree on the hats 😁

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb stuff Curt. Your 1812 project was what inspired me to get some Perry figures and now I am slowly building up a SP2 force. These are simply beautiful! I know the hats are important, but I really like the colour of the coats. Might have to pinch that!

    ReplyDelete