Tuesday, April 28, 2020

From Curt: Siege of Malta, 1565 - Barbary Corsair Spearmen and a Archer Command Stand


Switching tack from the Grim Dark Future to the sun-kissed Middle Sea, I thought I'd finish off a few more figures for my 1565 Malta project which have been sitting half done since the winter Challenge.



Here are half a dozen spearmen to add to Turgut Reis' slowly growing contingent of fierce Barbary corsairs.



These are from Footsore Miniatures' excellent Caliphate range. Similar to my other efforts, I've had fun using a lot of colour with these guys. I may get another pack later to bulk-up the unit, but this group will stand as a good start.


The full unit of spearmen.
I also did up a command stand for one of my corsair archer units which was bereft of one. 



The piper and standard bearer are from Brigade Games, while the leader is a Footsore model. I did a small modification to have him holding a crossbow along with a small targe, just to make him a little more distinct from his bow-armed comrades. 

The archers with their new leader.
At first I just had the three figures on the base, but for a bit of additional colour, I decided to give them a banner as well (I figure you can't have enough flags on the tabletop).


These 9 models will give me another 45 points, for a grand total of 135.

Thanks for popping in for a visit!

-Curt


34 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always, Curt. Whenever I read one of your posts I immediately want to get back to the painting table and try harder! I love what you're doing with Malta (coincidentally, currently reading this: www.naval-military-press.com/product/barbary-corsairswarfare-in-the-mediterranean-1480-1580

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noel, you're very kind. Also, thanks again for the wonderful book tip. I'm filling up a virtual cart as I write this. :)

      Delete
  2. Those look excellent Curt and I agree you can never have too many flags!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher! I always feel a little bereft when I'm working on a period where they didn't carry banners. :)

      Delete
  3. Excellent looking spearmen and archers and command figures. The flags make the stands jump out and the mixed colours totally work.

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ross. I'm delighted you like them.

      Delete
  4. Spiffy work Curt, lovely colours. I really like your mixing of figures eras for these corsairs. I fellow 8. Long flowing robes with proto COVID masking doesn't change much over the centuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes, I agree, I don't mind having a bit of elasticity with the figures used, especially with the Ottomans, as their fashion and weapons seem to have little variation for the 200 or so years I'm wanting to cover.

      Delete
  5. Really nice figures.Love the irregular basing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid work as always, love the bright colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martijn. I enjoyed opening lots of paint pots for these guys.

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking corsairs! You can only occasionally have too many flags, certainly not in this case!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Too many flags?! What an astonishing assertion. I can't think of one period which couldn't benefit with a nice banner flapping in the wind. Cripes, even 40K has the good sense to have flags. :)

      Delete
  8. Terrific work Curt. I do like all the different colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray! I had as much fun as a 4-year old, opening up pots and mixing colours. :)

      Delete
  9. Smashing stuff Curt, had a fantastic holiday to Malta a couple of years back, what a great historical place 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken! Yes, Sarah and I were there a few years ago as well. I agree, it's a wonderful place to visit.

      Delete
  10. These are utterly splendid! Your brushwork is top notch and the variety of colours is wide yet extremely well chosen. Finally those banners really complete both units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, your comments are very kind. It gives me encouragement for the next batch.

      Delete
  11. Spectacular looking corsairs. The command stand looks aces, the flag was definitely a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. The more banners the better, I figure!

      Delete
  12. What a colourfully eclectic bunch, they will compliment your Malta project greatly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some lovely work on these figures - where did you score the sabot bases? They're really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ev! I designed the sabots and Byron cut them up for me. For ease of identification, I wanted the missile units to be of an unique shape from the melee troops, thus the more dispersed blob-like look to them.

      Delete
    2. That's a splendid look, well done the both of you!

      Delete
  14. Love the colours on these, so vibrant! As ever, the command stand is my favourite part as it brings them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jamie, I'm delighted you like them.

      Delete