Monday, April 13, 2020

From SanderS: Leia calling for EVAC by Balloon! (70 points)

Hoi,

Well I said it before and I will say it again: I am going to try to finish the Challenge Island Tour from the last Challenge and to do this I need to take a Balloon ride to Douglas' Shallows.


If you want to know what I am jabbering on about, follow this LINK to Curt's explanation of the business. As I need to enter a female figure to appease the Goddess of Airtravel, in the only air-service still operating now, I just had to paint Princess Leia.  The figure is horrible and I wasn't able to get her face as well as I'd like but I am happy with the overall appearance of both her and Luke Skywalker and Heinrich Solo.





My client wants all his figures fitted out for Tatooine and thus I had to find a different camo scheme for Han's Endor coat, well that turned out to be a German WW2 like Wüste-tarnung, hence the "Heinrich" Solo.


They are facing off against what must be my favourite Imperial troops: the new and shiny Shore Troopers. 









The Shore Troopers have squad markings on their right upper sleeve/ armour. I have painted my clients Scout squad as Shore troopers already and they have all red upper-arm pads, so I now wanted to use something else this on these to differentiate. At first I used red over yellow bands. In walks Arthur (my eldest son) and goes: Dad, are there Germans in Star Wars as well? Because the sleeve directly beneath the coloured markings was near black and so a German flag was showing on the right arm. Well that was quickly turned into light green.

The terrain is made with my very own 3D printer (Ender 3 pro) using a free STL from Thingiverse. I tried out the kitchen towel-whiteglu-water mixture thing to get the tarpaulins, they add that nice extra bit of colour and mystery to the scenery: who put them over the parts? Why? And will they come back for the parts?





Anyway 10 figures in 40mm should net me 70 points. Even though these figures will leave my home soon for their original owner I am very happy with how they turned out.






19 comments:

  1. More star wars goodness! Nice terrain too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work, I like the scheme you've chosen for Han's coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a bit trial and error, but I am happy with the result too!

      Delete
  3. Wow. The figures (particulary Heinrich- umpf)are great as always, but I really like the creative terrain objects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always pleased to see Star Wars figures - though I'm most interested by the tarpauling draped terrain, as I can see several uses for these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, by the way it's Sander without the extra S at the end ;-)

      Delete
  6. Very nice indeed. Feels like we’re currently operating in a galaxy far, far away with all the changes that have happened!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on the coat and the scenery!

    ReplyDelete