Monday, April 13, 2020

From TeemuL: Cavalry Charge! (92 points)

Now I return to my last post on Challenge X, where I posted my first ever Napoleonics. I have now finished the whole Italeri box of 20mm Prussian Cavalry. From Italeri web site:
"On October 16th, 1813, general Yorck led his Prussian Dragoons in a desperate charge against the positions defended by Marshal Marmont's French troops during the assault of Mockern, a village near Leipzig. It's one of the main phases of the famous “battle of the nations” that radically changed the alliances and boundaries in Napoleonic Europe. The Prussian light horsemen are represented with their headgear protected by oilcloth, as customarily worn during military campaigns"

Most of the horses are running, some walking. I didn't mix them on the bases, and it might not look nice, if mixed in a unit.
I painted them by paying attention to the painting guide on the box, black boots and hat, grey trousers and bright blue jacket with white gloves, belts etc. I have no idea if they are historically accurate or not or do they represent some real unit or not. The flag has yellow borders and something blue on the white field.

I started the basing, but after finishing the three small bases I run out of the stuff and had to change to different one for the big base.
There are five different types of horses and riders (plus command), so I used three different colors on horses to create some variety.
Close up of the small flag and horn blower
I have a bit mixed feeling on these. They are superbly quick and easy to paint compared to current GW range for example and they are very cheap (17 mounted figures for less than 10 euros). But I still might want even smaller miniatures to create even bigger forces and battles. So even though these are painted to tabletop level, they might end up spending rest of their lives in cabinet. Anyway, I guess I'll buy some more Prussian Cavalry in this scale in the future, just to create a bigger force (and have separate units for walking and running horses).

One of the horses charged very fast and dropped a rider. Or did he took a bullet? Vacuum cleaning might be related to disappearance as well...

12 mounted 20mm is 96 points, but since one of the riders is missing, the total is 92 points. These are Fresh miniatures bought this year and they Reinforce (and complete, for now) my Prussian "army", which I started at the end of Challenge X.

U: 0 (total 3)
N: 0 (total 1)
W: 0 (total 1)
N: 12 (total 12)
R: 12 (total 12)
Points:
92 points for miniatures (total 142)

From Minion Teemu:
I'm sorry to hear about your vacuum accident and problems with basing material, but the bright blue colors should cheer you up!

18 comments:

  1. Great Prussians. The rider next to the empty horse seems to be reacting to his missing compatriot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, I thought that he was the perfect rider next to the empty horse. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice charge! Prussians often seem to be a neglected army, so it's good to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was not much to select on the store, so I just picked up something to try out.

      Delete
  3. Nice Prussians! Welcome to the world of Nappys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Now I just need to find the correct scale, army, battle, rules...

      Delete
  4. Nicely done Teemu.
    "I guess I'll buy some more Prussian cavalry..."
    Of course!! What could go wrong? :) Just a "few" more, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very cheap (compared to GW), so why not?

      Delete
  5. I feel your pain with the lost figure, the Hoover is a major culprit as is my dog !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end the hoover was investigated, but nothing was found. So it might be somewhere...

      Delete
  6. Lovely looking Prussian cavalry! A few more can't hurt surely?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they look very nice. Just wondering how much better they would look like as a bigger unit...

      Delete
  7. Welcome to 'The Beautiful Game' Teemu! Great work on the Prussians. If you want to indulge in a smaller scale you should check out the 15s from AB Miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I guess I need to experiment with different scales and battles, rulesets to find my sweet spot. I'm confident, that I get more than enough help from my fellow participants.

      Delete