Monday, April 13, 2020

Long Hills, 2.7 Quatloos

 I made a long rather high high (for table top terrain) which you can see pictured here for an upcoming game that I will be hosting on zoom.

OK, I may have started these hills over 1 year ago and then lost them in the mess of my shop.  They were re-discovered this week during a clean up.  How were these topographical treasures discovered? By the crunching sound one of them made as I stepped on it
There are two sections that can be fitted together to form one long hill.  I repaired the area I damaged by adding a cliff face of carved EPS foam "rocks" 

The basic ground texture is a mix of pre-mixed colored tile grout and PVA glue.  It dries rock hard and is very durable.
 Texture for exposed ground comes from another type of tile grout that is not premixed.  I sperinkle it on add some small rocks and the then lightly spry water.  Presto-Change-O you've got a nice gravel like texture.
The rocks are then primed in a 50.50 mis of black craft paint and matt medium - this stiffens the foam and makes sure I have on pink spots peaking through
The final step is to add ground foam - I sue three different kinds, all from scenic express (a US company)
 Starting tho take shape
Leave them to dry for 24 hours and them vacuum off the ground foam that doesn't set and you've for 43 inches of hills.

Because these were started before the quarantine challenge, the points total was adjusted downward - I am awarding myself 2.7 Quatloos for this effort.

11 comments:

  1. Great looking chunks of terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some brilliant landscaping Miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous hills, they look great on your table in the first picture. 2.7 Quatloos well earned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent hills and a tutorial to boot! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely terrain as always. And no-one's said anything about being over the hills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More wonderful hills from the terrain forge of Mr Miles. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hats off to anyone who makes their own terrain 👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice work, they look great. Your story on how you re-discovered them rang so true! Normally I find things squashed together in boxes and I’ve put so much in the box that bits have snapped off.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Useful stuff! Always challenging to decide between slopes or steps.

    ReplyDelete