Sunday, May 10, 2020

KenR 28mm WW1 Mesopotamia Cavalry test figures


I have been searching for sources of figures for 28mm WW1 Mesopotamia Cavalry for some time, I'm going to do a big blog post on the search soon. One of the suggestions was Irregular Miniatures who I have to say I was completely unaware did a WW1 Range.

So I ordered six figures so I could do a test base of each type of figure. Irregular are pretty old school compared with the much more detailed modern sculpts, I've painted them in my usual way, oils for the horses and acrylic paints with the occasional wash for the figures.


First up Turkish Cavalry, quite "toy soldier" looking but presentable, will probably end up getting some more of these as there really is no other options.


Next up the Indian Cavalry, probably the favourite of the bunch, I have another alternative for Indian Cavalry depending on how successful a 3d printing of ammo pouches go so it's yet to be seen if I expand on these but it's a decent option to have in hand.


Finally there are some British Cavalry, they come from the same range as the Indian Cavalry but have a Colonial style Pith Helmet rather than the Wolesley style more common in Mesopotamia. They do have the 1903 ammo bandolier but look more Boer War to me, so these are in the undecided pile.


So for the Q score that's another 60 points taking me to 1025.

15 comments:

  1. Great to see Irregular getting a mention - interesting period for wargaming and think these cavalry look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jez, it's astonishing how many figures Irregular produce !

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking cavalry! The Indian cavalry do look particularly good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, the Indians definitely are the pick 👍

      Delete
  3. Those look good Ken. Nice to see Irregular getting a nod. The Indian cavalry look very nice indeed, but the Turks are good too. Have you looked at the Yeomen from Perry’s WW2 range? I’ve seen these knocked up as WW1 regiments. Perry also do Wolsey helmets separates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Peter, the Perrys WW2 are on the lost to look at too 👍

      Delete
  4. I remember your WW I Mesopotamia project from Challenge VIII I think? I agree that the Indians look good, but I must say that your paintjob makes the others shine as well! Irregular seems to produce almost anything; I just sent off for some 15mm Crimean figures to see if they match my Minifigs. Anyway, these six cavalrymen look great and I would love to see more of your Mesopotamia project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, you won't be disappointed this year, keep an eye on the Yarkshire Gamer blog, having a big drive on WW1 Mesopotamia Cavalry.

      Delete
  5. Great work Ken - I also recall this project from an earlier Painting Challenge - glad to see it isn't "finished" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Greg, one of the projects I keep going back too, helps that it's guaranteed to get on the table at least once a year for our Xmas Game.

      Delete
  6. Cracking work Ken! Really like the Turkish cavalry - pity there's not more choice for these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Curt,it is a real shame, Woodbine Design Company have a great range for the period but no cavalry, very strange !

      Delete