Sunday, June 7, 2020

From StuartL - Free French Goumiers

Some models are easy to paint, others can be a challenge. Minis that make us question our life choices are, thankfully a rarity. However, that is probably the category that this group fits into. I've had these on my workbench for a while now and getting them done was a grind. Painting (somewhat) neat lines onto their djellabas (robes) was a very challenging task.


These figures are the start of a Late War, Free French army for Bolt Action. Thankfully, this bunch represents the entirety of the Goumier contingent. The Goumiers were originally from Morocco and served as local auxiliaries for the French Army of Africa. When France signed an armistice with Germany, the Goumier were designated as Gendarmerie, to get round the limits on soldiers the French were allowed to have.


The Goumier fought alongside the allies in Tunisia, Italy, France and Germany, as part of the Free French forces. While highly regarded as tough, reliable fighters and excellent mountain troops, they also had a reputation for committing war crimes against civilian targets, leading to several of them going in front of a firing squad and others being sentenced to hard labour.


In total, I painted up 2 units of 12 and an officer with an assistant. All of the models are from Artizan Designs. Ideally there should be some support weapons like mortars and machine guns, but Artizan don't produce them sadly. If anyone knows of any company which does, please let me know in the comments section.

So, for my imaginary scoring, that's 26 minis at 5 points a piece giving a respectable 130 points to both my AHQC score and my side duel score. The current results therefore stand at 939.5 and 737.5 points respectively.

17 comments:

  1. Another excellent entry, Stuart. Those lines look pretty neat to me. I think we're about level pegging on the side challenge, so the last 2 weeks will be the decider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Noel.
      I have a couple of things lined up for the last stages of the challenge, I can't wait to see what you paint up.

      Delete
  2. Nice work Stuart. I agree that some units just take more time and effort than others to get right, but the results are just fine in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of effort but a splendid result! I really like these troops, its nice to see your version of them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic stuff on a very cool uniform, this is a really great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work, very neat brushwork - I always give up with this sort of thing and resort to a fineliner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was tempted to use a fineliner, it might have made things easier.

      Delete
  6. I can imagine that you may have been muttering some expletives under your breath painting these, but the end result is something to be proud of. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong on the expletives part, but I'm happy with the final product.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful work Stuart. I always love seeing these troops getting their due attention. Great brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. They certainly make a nice change from the usual greens and khakis found on other WW2 minis.

      Delete
  8. Smashing unit Stuart, something really different 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice work on the robes!

    ReplyDelete