Sunday, March 29, 2020

From ClarenceH: Quindia Studios

I've never taken part in the Analogue Hobbies challenges before, but I've seen entries from many of you on your own blogs. I've been meaning to join in, but always seem to miss the launch. It was pure luck that I saw Curt's post on this challenge.


For those who don't know me, I'm Clarence Harrison, but my online presence is usually associated with Quindia Studios. I've been painting models for a stupid long time and I've managed to turn my hobby into a mildly profitable business. My partner, Barry Hilton, and I have produced a number of wargame rule sets (Beneath the Lily Banners, Donnybrook, and Republic to Empire) under the name of The League of Augsburg. We also make numerous accessories such as flag sheets and uniform guides, primarily for our main period of interest 1660-1720.



I collect models for way too many periods and I am preparing to start ANOTHER, which will be the focus of work for the challenge: The Sword and the Flame, Sudan 1885.

I'm still waiting on the first of my models to arrive (Perry Cameron Highlanders), but they have been shipped so I hope to be able to get started later this week!

I'm looking forward to taking part in the challenge!

26 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Challenge, Clarence! Delighted to have you with us. There's been a running joke regarding one of our long-time participants (RayR) and Donnybrook - but I'm sure that will be revealed over time. I look forward to seeing your lovely brushwork over the next few months, especially with your coming Sudan project. FYI, DaveD is our local Sudan expert, who has just recently had his collection used for a French film on the Battle of Omdurman.

    http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.com/2019/11/sudan-something-bit-different-making.html

    Yes folks, we are all rubbing shoulders with an august group of hobbyists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clarence - these are real beauties. It's a privilege to have the person responsible for Donnybrook along with the Challenge crew. Ray is going to be beside himself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic models, and a great paintjob for sure! I also love the vibrantcy of those banners, they really stand out in a good way

    ReplyDelete
  4. Men in floppy hats? Ray will be delighted to see those!

    Lovely painting Clarence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful units. Welcome to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, Clarence. I've long admired the League of Augsburg's ventures. You've done some very inspiring work - but so far I've not been lured into the post-ECW pre-SYW period. I'm horribly worried that your involvement in the Challenge will be what my mother used to call "an undesirable influence"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.. no worries, Noel.. I’ll be painting models from two centuries later for the challenge. Of course, if you he’d over to the LoA blog, there’s an article on ‘Why this is my favorite period’ filled with reasons to wade into 1690.. maybe just a Donnybrook force?

      Delete
  7. Lovely floppy hat troops, great flags! Looking forward to the Sudan!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi great photos of painted figures .....

    ReplyDelete
  9. More scope for Donnybrook humour...this is great...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please sir I want some more. Welcome Clarence great to have you on board. I just downloaded your latest PDF on Kindle and Cork 1690, very tempting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Peter! More stuff in the pipe, including several scenarios based on the PDF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. And I look forward to seeing your Cameron’s

      Delete
  13. beautiful work, and whilst not being one of floppy hat brigade I do have enough for a grand alliance army. Maybe i shoud dig them out and touch them up

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, ahhh, nice floppy hats, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming and you're gonna need a new cabinet in the shed...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Outstanding Figues Clarence, from one of my favourite periods!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been following your work for a long time and it's great to see join in on the fun! I think Ray will be excited to see you in the mix as well.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  17. More floppy greatness, what more do I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome to the Challenge madness Clarence. Lovely figures.

    ReplyDelete