Wednesday, April 29, 2020

From Barks: Setting up a 3D printer

I am such a hobby butterfly. I really need a deadline so I can focus on one thing, or else I end up flitting from one unfinished project to another.

Last week I completed a Papuan stretcher bearer team, but I popped it up on my own blog first for Anzac Day, so it doesn't really count for the Challenge.

Papuan stretcher bearers from Eureka

My main hobby activity was assembling a 3D printer, a Creality Ender 3 (I'm using Cura for slicing). This is a very common printer with a big user population and hence lots of helpful videos and subreddits. I assembled and calibrated it in a few hours, and printed a 'Benchy': a standardised benchmark print of a cute tugboat that has a number of challenging features- overhangs and fine details etc.- that runs your printer through its paces.

Oh god, what have I got myself into?

Looks better!

Benchy!

I'm not yet planning to use it for figures or vehicles, but certainly scenery and boardgame accessories are on the printing queue. It is sitting happily in my living room at the moment, where I can hover over it like an anxious parent.

22 comments:

  1. Nice Papuan team and I believe this Quarantine Challenge is not strict as regular Challenges about 24h "Quarantine" before posting elsewhere. So, I guess it counts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top stuff Barks, 3d printers are the future 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you great joy with the new arrival. Benchy looks like she might have tabletop uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not entirely convinced that she does...

      Delete
  4. That printer looks like a lot of effort to set up, but being able to print your own terrain offers a lot of possibilities. The stretcher team looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly there are investments of time to print and troubleshoot, but the ability to print the precise part I need is superb.

      Delete
  5. Lovely stretcher bearer vignette! Congratulations on the new hobby arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and yes this is definitely the 'let your hair down Challenge' - do whatever you like, mate.

      Delete
    2. “This isn’t ‘Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.”

      Delete
  6. Benchy is very fetching and the bearers are ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome,another Ender brother! If I can find your email address I will sent you some STL files with add-ons that really improve the performance of your printer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sander! I’ve printed a fan dust cover, a cable chain, some cable clips and a filament guide- anything else you’d recommend?

      Delete
    2. The knob for the pla feed, the spacer for the z-axis and of course the Darth Vader cover for the z-axis motor ;-) I had abit of a thing with mine just lately, the ptfetube blocked up, messing up the hot-end amnd nozzle too... it's all fixed now but boy what a nightmare.

      Delete
  8. Excellent stuff, one of my mates has just purchased one and there is so much stuff out there for it..... I will not be tempted, I will not be tempted, I will not be tempted (chances of that working?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The vignette looks great! And happy printing! I am sorely tempted myself to invest in a resin printer; the only thing (just) holding me back is that I fear the disastrous effect on my already fairly monstrous lead and plastic piles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know... I have to hold off a resin printer for the same reason...

      Delete