Sunday, March 29, 2020

From MartinC Couple of Big Birds

Morning all.

Hope you are all keeping well. Sitting in my lving room listening to my CD collection in sorta alphabetical order. It's Sunday morning so we have Bjork - Debut - on the CD player
Another single figure post this morning, no points scoring, no rush so may as well post things. Every year I try and buy a figure from Kyle at Mr Lees. It is usually spectacularly outside my ability to paint such figures and they have little gaming use, although the gorilla warriors have fought at Hammerhead and adorn the cover of my blog page. But I do like to practise different skills
I bought this figure during the offical challenge with the plan of painting it up and submitting it there. Well I made a start but never completed.

This is Zarola, she will be come comic book type I've never read (bet SimonM knows). She is riding and ostrich and is massive

I encountered 2 specific problems. Whilst I like painting black flesh I find the shading quite tricky and this took a while to work out (obviously my photography skills mask these difficulties. The 2nd problem is that Ostrich colouring is very very individual. This is a very pink one but they shade own to a stone colour. Pink looks an angrier colour, better if you are a fighting ostrich not called Norbert


Ther appear to be 2 straps on the legs but the attach to nothing and as I can't work out if they are straps of sinew they will stay pink for now.

It's a great dynamic post

Told you she was big, this is her next to yesterday's Eve.

Have fun and stay safe

Martin

31 comments:

  1. What a hell of a model (in all senses of the word)! Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing stuff, Martin - reminds me of RuneQuest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly is - the sculpt has really got a good sense of headlong speed!

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. And you have inspired me to sort out my own messy CD shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ta, i got as far as Billy Bragg. Need to go back and do the A's, sunday morning not really ACDC territory

      Delete
  4. That is one figure I thought I would never see, imagine the scene "Boss, Boss I've got a great idea for a new figure, it's a partially clothed lady on an emu with a spear, it's a best seller !" Top job on a very weird figure !

    Regards Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zarola and Norbert are brilliant. Nice work on the skin tone and feathers! Now you need a proper unit of these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Would need a mortgage. I've got armies that cost less than this figure

      Delete
  6. That's a strange figure Martin. Nicely painted Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  7. While it may not be the most versatile model for gaming with, it's certainly a nice sculpt. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are looking great! I think the dark skin turned out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work on both steed and rider Martin. Did you ever figure you'd be researching ostrich colours?

    ReplyDelete