Thursday, April 9, 2020

More HYW Knights -- in full caparison

As promised continuing my French HYW Joan of Arc period army a stand for Jean V de Linières  Baron of Linières or Lignières, Lord of Rezay, Thévé and Brécy, Master of the Kitchen of the King. The figures are all Front Rank





The standard is laser printed sourced and then edited from here and the caparison is all free hand. I will say that the Lions came out a bit chibi style 😆, must be the big eyes!







The standard bearer is a rough conversion from a figure holding a hand arm in the same style as the others. I realised after the fact that I'd ordered the set of figures with raised hand weapons only and that FR do in fact make one with lances raised that would have been perfect! Oh well you work with what you have and I'll pretend he's pulling the flag back in after it was caught by the wind!


Anyway apologies for a) the useless wash on the lighter colours, that's still something I'm working on and b) the pretty rough and ready fleur de lis -- hand painting sixty odd is a chore but I could have taken more time!



One thing to note for other collectors is that Front Rank are the only manufacturer I've found that will sell horses with saddles included. Most others have the saddles form part of the rider. This makes the horses no good if you want a stand of riderless horses to show knights who have dismounted. I'll be buying some horses from Front Rank for this purpose.

Next up some terrain and a building -- first stab at this for me.

15 comments:

  1. Nice work Simon! I agree FR have some beautifully sculpted knights. Yours seem to be based for gaming purposes. What rules do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I’ve used the Impetus basing standards so quite large and diorama like

      Delete
  2. Very impressive, especially the caparison. Excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on these knights. Love the liveries and they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely free hand heraldry! Excellent knights!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning brushwork Simon - the prospect of even considering heraldry keeps me a thousand miles away from ever attempting a period like this. It is sure cool to see when others do it, and do it so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. The trick I’ve found is to outline the details with a fine tip (.03 in my case) marker and the re outline when finished and add any inner detail

      Delete
  6. That's a really top base of figures 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work on the hand painted liveries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb. I love seeing all this HYW stuff rolling out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff Simon, especially the hand painted heraldry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice freehands and some very good colour choices hereSimon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good work in these knights. The freehand painting is really good

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very imposing, and the caparisons are magnificent!

    ReplyDelete