Thursday, April 9, 2020

From PeteF: Quatres Bras with Old School 25s - legere battalion (120 points)



The French order of battle for Quatres Bras was 32 infantry battalions, 6 artillery batteries and 12 or so cavalry regiments.  It's going to come to 800 foot and 200 mounted figures. This is the fourth of the ten light infantry battalions that I need to put together and will take the army to 18/32 battalions.



Most of the troops will be 25mm Minifigs, an old school sculpting style that I really like. The uniforms are not necessarily accurate to the Hundred Days campaign - by which time a lot of the Armee du Nord was pretty ragged in any case. These troops will represent the 2nd battalion of the 1st light infantry.

Elite Company Voltigeurs





As part of this week's hobbying I dug into the boxes of old 25s that I've snagged on EBay to see what gaps I'll need to fill in from Calivers Books - who still sell them and are open for business. I don't think I'm going to need that much - mainly mounted chasseurs. I've got quite a few troops that will need rehabbing - hopefully not too much paint stripping. If I could avoid distractions I might even get the army finished in the next year or so. We have a local convention that's just been cancelled for this May.... with a bit of focus Quatres Bras in May 2021 could be possible.

Elite Company Carabiniers

In the meantime the 2nd/1st (or is it 1st/2nd, or 1ere/2eme?) will take their place alongside their fellow grumblers.


Centre Copanies
  
Attack Column




14 comments:

  1. Super looking Leger! I'm really enjoying all these old school minifigs!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh now this is a trip down memory lane 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I've always like the look of the French Legere uniforms, especially if they're sporting the natty colpacks. Well done Pete. You're past the half-way mark now! You probably have more than enough French to do the opening frontier actions near Thuin and Gilly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking frenchmen. The uniforms may not be perfectly realistic, but they do look splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, love the toy soldier poses and those legere uniforms

    ReplyDelete
  6. After all these years I still have a soft spot for these. Painted loads of them back in the day and they are still beautiful to my eyes. Lovely work Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very evocative figures and lovely to see them done so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Minifigs, wow! True vintage. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent paintjob on these here Frenchies Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cool, really neat. I love the "Old School" vibe, well done.

    ReplyDelete