Friday, April 10, 2020

More "Characters of Laarden, 1688"


Did Sidney ever finish his very self-indulgent, collectible-collection 
of the “Characters of Laarden” which he was painting for Challenge X?

With everything going on in the world right now, I imagine that question has, quite rightly, been on no-one’s lips, and has not appeared in the world’s daily news-feeds.  But the answer, dear Challengers, readers and friends is – “Yes, finally, this morning”.  

That’s something which being stuck inside most of the day in quarantine can help with.  Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve finished the remaining four “Characters” for the set, and here they are in all their indulgent finery.

So this blog post in the Quarantine Challenge features a glittering favourite (who may turn out to be a fraud), a tulip cultivator who may turn out to be a hero, two sisters and five Brothers, plus a collection of Laarden chickens.  

So, now is the time to pour yourself a glass of the golden ale from one of Laarden’s breweries, or enjoy a cup of coffee brought to the town through the French blockade, and drift back to my alt-historical nonsense from the year of 1688….



The first of the “Characters” is Hannes van Breughel, Count of Ieper and Lord Commander of Laarden.  Hannes is a converted Wargames Foundry figure, with a sword arm swapped for his originally cast-on ineffectually-waving arm, and with some green-stuff feathers and lace added.  The trumpeter is Wargames Foundry, with just some added brass fret oak leaves on his hat – which is my field-sign for Imperial troops.  The two soldiers are Dixon Miniatures, with more oak field-signs added, and painted in suitably earthy Flemish browns and ochres – to fit the colour scheme of the other Flemish regiments in my collection.  The Imperial standard, in Hapsburg scarlet and yellow, is from Iain at “Flags of War” – whose website and flags I can heartily recommend.  The base is 60mm MDF, 3mm depth, from Warbases.  



Here’s the Lord Commander’s Character Card.  I had in mind that the Flemish commanders for Laarden would be somewhat untried and untested when faced by an assault of the ferocity of the French army of 1688, led by the Marshals of Louis Le Grand.  So, I tried to conjure something which suggested finery, but also presented with some slight nervousness about the Lord Commander's credentials in the field.


From one nobleman born to lead (from the right side of the Laarden highway), to another from the other side of the cart-tracks.  Every crisis brings unusual heroes to the fore, and allows us all to be astonished by the quiet tales of sacrifice and determination.  And this would be true in the alt-historical world of 1688, as well as our own.  


Much remains to be written of Laarden’s powerful guild-system.  To some, it might be a medieval hangover of restrictive trade practices; to others, it might be a reinforcement of community in the face of economic change.  Whatever the academics might say, it’s true that the Laarden Guilded Company of Tulip Cultivators contributed significantly to the defence of the city in 1688, not least in the form of Captain Jan de Vroot, one of the redoubtable and irascible Guildsmen who found his moment to shine when the French army threatened the city.  



I tried to depict Jan and his civic militia comrades in earthy browns and ochres, but added a drummer in yellow – a colour which I’ve been using for Laarden drummers and characters since the start of the project a few years back.  

Captain de Vroot is a Wargames Foundry ECW dismounted cavalryman, with a converted arm and green-stuff additions.  Other civic militiamen have green-stuffed feathers on their hats, and the standard bearers are carrying more flags from Warbases.  The chickens, wandering the Grote Markt where the Company of Tulip Cultivators is assembling, are from Warbases.  The groundwork is more brass fret from Scalelink.  I bought it a few years back – it’s very expensive, but gives a great depiction of continental European paving.  Since then, a couple of companies have produced rollers for green-stuff with the same pattern, so one of those is on my list to purchase.  The “straw” is…well, straw from a floor mat.  Finials on the standards are from Bicorne Miniatures.


And, here's Captain de Vroot's card for the collection:


As you know, my journey in the hidden bye-ways of 1688 Flanders is not just about the soldiers and commanders.  Warfare in the late seventeenth century affected non-combatants, often in surprising ways, as I wrote about here on my blog a couple of years back.  I wanted to add a couple of sisters to the collection, mainly (I confess) to have them helping me to take a Challenge X balloon ride on Challenge Island.  So here are Agnes and Margriete van Rompaey, and their children.... 


I loved painting these old Redoubt sculpts – at least once I’d managed to undercoat them.  They’re chunky, look very un-prepossessing out of the plastic bag when they arrived, but painted up really well.  You can cover any of the slightly clunky facial casting by a careful paint job, and by adding some basing to take the eyes off the slightly mis-sculpted children’s faces!  




I thought they’d be perfect to grace either the streets of Laarden, or one of the cluster of satellite villages around the city.  The chickens are again from Warbases (as is the base) and the geese are (I think) from Magister Militum.  

I experimented with a softer brown edging on the figures - which I thought worked quite well.  It's less harsh than the black edging - perhaps more suitable for non-combatants, perhaps?


And finally, for Easter Week, I thought I’d add a small group of monks from the Laarden-based Brotherhood of Sint Jacobus.  More from the Brotherhood in later posts on my blog (as men and women of religious orders are a real interest for me), but here they are worshiping and praying.  I’m not sure whether their prayers are being offered for the safe delivery of Laarden from the French attackers, or for the safe delivery of this morning’s chicken eggs from the hens in the Abbey gardens – but you’ll have your own views on that, I’m sure.  





The Brothers are a mix of Redoubt (the brother with the hat) and Perry Miniatures, the latter being from the First Crusade range but which make good monks in any period.

Looking through the lead pile, I seem to have collected far too many monks over the years, so more of the Brothers of Sint Jacobus may yet make more appearances in a blog post in the future.  Blessed Be!!

Here’s their Character Card, complete with the Brothers’ cryptic possessions to be explained in a later blog post (stay tuned, folks…..you see what I did there?)


And here, finally, is the completed “Characters of Laarden” collectible-collection of cards for Challenge X.  Did you get the whole set?  And, perhaps equally to the point, would you be interested in collecting the rest of the 52 cards?



*******

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful vignettes, beautifully presented and I love the character cards and back stories. I was particularly interested by the brass fretwork leaves in the hat, and I’ve already been to visit the site; top tip! I’ve been looking for oak leaves for the hats of the Nightwatch. The oak leaves are thought to represent past victories (according to the museum’s site).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness Sydney I was up all night for weeks fretting over the state of this project! Great conversions, wonderful painting and vignette poses and wonderful characters. I do like the tulip growers and am pleased to see the fowl of Laarden again. Although i must say that I gentleman would comment on the plumpness of the sisters capons! Do the brothers brew ale?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb work Sidney. Love the floppy hatted people of Laarden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I would be interested in collecting the whole set! Who here isn't? But apart from that wow these are amazing...truly I top my hat to you Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Outstanding brushwork Sidney and funny write-up! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely superb Sid! You’re breathing yet more life into your Laarden project with each new entry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid painting as always and your usual delightful backstory! Always interested in the ongoing events in Laarden!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these, Sidney, great character in them 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb! I absolutely love these character vignettes, Sidney. It's very hard to pick but I think Jan the Tulip Cultivator is my favourite. Encore!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome figures and some interesting backgrounds. The command bases are particularly impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This remains one of my favorite "mainstays" of any challenge, great work as always

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful work Sidney! Looking forward to the next addition!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic stuff as always, just great work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always a pleasure to see these and the non-combatants are especially fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, a spectacular collection of characters!

    ReplyDelete