Thursday, April 22, 2021

From StuartL - Inquisitorial Team

Hello again,

Despite my best intentions, my painting pace hasn't picked up by much, but I do have some finished figures to show off. This Sunday I will be attending my local gaming club to pick up some 3D printed minis from a friend. Since I am going to be there anyway, I figured "Why not take some minis along and play a game?" I've been toying with the idea of trying out Inquisitor again. Inquisitor is a game released by GW a couple of decades ago, intended to be a cross between a skirmish game and an RPG. For whatever reason, GW sold the game alongside 54mm scale minis, which meant that it didn't do very well. The figures (while nice) were expensive and nobody really wanted to build a whole new set of terrain at that size. Luckily the rules were pretty good so a lot of players simply played with their existing 28mm collections, an hence Inq28 was born. 

I've played the game before and the rules can be fairly solid so long as players don't try to abuse them and you have someone running the game. I've managed to rope two friends into playing, so I plan to be the GM this time. 


The above figure is an Imperial Navy officer which came with one of the old 40K intro sets for the game, along with a crashed shuttle. For a monopose figure, it's really nice and painted up really quickly.


Inq28 is popular online for it's weird and often grotesque conversions. Inspired by the likes of John Blanche, GW's lead artist, the hobby side of the community is very active in producing all sorts of oddities and nightmares. This is my attempt to kitbash something for the theme. I see this guy as being a prisoner who has 'volunteered' to aid the Inquisition to reduce his sentence. Sadly the Inquisitor's interpretation of reducing a life sentence is simply to reduce the amount and quality of life you get.


For those situations where a gun isn't the answer, we have a heavily cybered up savant. This scrawny looking fellow and his companion come from one of GW's old metal Inquisitor sets. Loads of character and details in the sculpt, and they fit the theme perfectly.


Including the Guardsman I painted recently we have the full team of 4, plus the servo-skull. Will they be enough to get the job done this weekend? I'm not sure, but at least they look the part.

See you all next time.


11 comments:

  1. Interesting, I had never heard of that game before. The figures look great (and suitably disconcerting), succes with the game this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's not such a popular game (it has been out of print for a long time), but the hobby side is pretty popular. Just search for Inq28 on facebook and I'm sure you'll get lots of hits.

      Delete
  2. Some great work here Stuart - and wow, that old Imperial Navy officer! I WISH I still had that model, so neat! Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. The officer is probably the best figure that came out of that particular set.

      Delete
  3. Such characterful minis! Well done Stuart. I dimly remember Inquisitor. I'll have to see if I can scare up this 28mm version. Terrific stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt.
      If you're interested there are files and resources here:
      https://carthax.fandom.com/wiki/An_overview_of_Inquisitor

      Delete
  4. These look grand for inquisitor, really meet that gruesome side of the grim dark. I do remember it coming out and I even bought a figure or two for it, which have languished for decades..... that link to the files could come in very handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a bad game, I think the official scale just put people off. It's well worth digging it out and giving it a try if you have a copy.

      Delete