Tuesday, March 31, 2020

TomF - ACW Confederate Infantry - A Flocking Situation

I have enjoyed following the Analogue Hobby Challenge for 5 or 6 years now, always in awe of the productivity and artistic talent of the participants. Three years ago I made an anemic attempt at participating in the annual challenge myself.

When Curt posted the opportunity to participate in this challenge, I decided to sign up in order, in part, to thank all the participants of the annual challenge and hopefully contribute to providing a means of distraction from the depressing news of the pandemic.

For my first post, I have eight American Civil War confederate infantry (Perry Miniatures - plastic).  I painted these in mid-March for a game of Sharpe Practice that, unfortunately, was cancelled once my University colleagues and I were told we had convert all of our face-to-face courses to an online format.


While these figures were painted pre-challenge, they sat on my painting table without flock/vegetation since I had to cancel the game they were to participate in.  As far as the painting of these figures go, I used a gray primer then applied a black wash followed by several rounds of dry brushing with lighter shades of gray.  Quick and easy ... the Perry plastics really lend themselves to this technique.

Over the past weekend, I put static grass and other vegetation on the bases.





Below is a picture of the 28mm ACW figures that I have painted over the last couple of years.  As you can see, I have a bad habit of not finishing the basing of painted figures.

Given how well the 8 figures featured in this post turned out, I may be inspired to finish basing the rest of them over the next month or so.

But up next, I have a batch of AWI figures that I'm hoping to finish painting by the end of the week to share with you.

Thanks for viewing.

13 comments:

  1. Nice looking minis.
    I'm not one to paint-shame anyone, but you really should get all those bases finished off. Sure it'll be a chore, but you'll feel a greater sense of accomplishment when all of the minis are ranked up with matching bases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are flocking nice Tom! I’ve just come off delivering back to back Actuarial Science lectures via Zoom, how are you delivering content online?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work, Tom! I agree with Stuart, use the Challenge to get those other bases done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Basing already painted figures is a quick win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, your painting technique works really well. Now get those other bases done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good looking rebs, basing can be a bit of a chore!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking Rebs and the basing is ace. The QC is the perfect opportunity for a mass base-tarting project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who likes basing ? No one! Top flocking 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your basing is top notch Tom and makes your figures really pop out. So what are you waiting for?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work - bright & colourful even when wearing grey!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff, these are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice rebeles indeed! Nice mix of uniform colours.

    ReplyDelete