Tuesday, April 14, 2020

From GregB: More 10mm Bavarians for FPW

More 10mm Bavarians, ready to invade France in some Franco-Prussian War action. Castings from Pendraken.
Yet more 10mm Franco-Prussian war figures coming off of the painting desk this past weekend.  Here are five bases of Bavarian infantry - the castings are all from Pendraken. Not much to say beyond repeating what I have said before - 10mm is great, and Pendraken provides the best 10mm stuff I have come across.

This basing can work for a number of rule systems, but I intend to use them for "1871".
In the basic "1871" rules, each base would be a battalion.  So this would represent a reinforced regiment.
I love the bright cornflower blue of the Bavarian uniforms from this period.
Happily Pendraken also sell flags...it's a one-stop shop!
There are four bases of regular infantry, and one base of Jagers.  The Pendraken castings are all outstanding, but I was particularly blown away from the Jagers, which somehow managed to have the marksmanship cords and plume on the helmets on 10mm castings. My brush skills were not the strongest in terms of picking out those details, but wow - just great stuff.

As with all of my recent 10mm FPW work, these figures are part of the build up to do the Battle of Wissembourg.  A division of Bavarians took part in that engagement, and with this lot completed I have now finished painting the initial Bavarian contingent in the OOB for that scenario.

Attempted close-up on the Jagers.

Tremendous sculpts from Pendraken.
The French are already completed, and now that the Bavarians are finished, it is time to focus on finishing the rest of the Prussian contingent for the game. That will involve another eight batteries of artillery, a few more command bases, and another 12 or so infantry bases.  This will take some time to finish, particularly as I still get distracted by other projects and scales, but the Quarantine Challenge is helping me to focus, that's for sure!

Bavarian division massed on my shelf, awaiting the order to move out!
Thanks for looking everyone - I hope you are safe and healthy, wherever you are.

GregB

15 comments:

  1. Lovely looking Bavarians! As you said it's a great looking uniform in this period and these are ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snazzy stuff there.

    What size bases are you using for them? I have oft thought of using the basing I would for 28mms with 10mms would look very snazzy.

    Also, were the Bavarians really that spread out, or did they mostly fight shoulder to shoulder except for skirmishers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they were spread out a little farther in 1870 than just a few years before.

      Delete
  3. Awesome! You’re really tempting me with these Pendraken figures! I can’t imagine doing the period in a larger scale but 10mm...
    Anyway, that cornflower blue is just the ticket. And who needs Prussians when he can have Bavarians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'And who needs Prussians when he can have Bavarians?'

      Says you and a erudite little French chap called Napoleon. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, you can’t blame him for that at least...

      Delete
    3. You know you will try it out at some point Nick!

      Christopher

      Delete
  4. Fabulous work Greg. I love the vibrant cornflower blue you've come up with for these Bavarian chaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done another fantastic job on these units. Your completed division looks very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m really enjoying this project Greg. I’ve spent time down the rabbit hole of Pendrakens webstore and am very tempted

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, love the figures and the paint job you are giving them is fantastic. Makes me want to explore the period more myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some excellent Bavarians Greg, it's awesome to see your collection grow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look brilliant and the scale works really well to convey the size of the battles.

    Still think you’re a bit mad for doing an era in more than one scale 😉

    ReplyDelete