Wednesday, April 22, 2020

From StuartL - Redcoats for Afghanistan

Being interested in historical gaming and British history in particular, it should come as no surprise that I have a British army for the Napoleonic era and one for the Anglo-Zulu War. A while back, I decided to start another British force, but I was sick of painting red, so I had a look around for something else. The 2nd Anglo-Afghan War provided the setting and I eagerly planned out a force for The Men Who Would Be Kings, using British troops in khaki. No red for me, no sir.

However, local interest in the period was disappointingly non-existent, so I decided to pick up a force of Afghans as well. If I could do demo games then I could maybe entice others into playing. As I started this project quite some time ago, (i.e. before the Perry brothers announced they were doing a range), I went with Artizan Designs range of figures. As well as picking up a load of British troops and Afghan tribesmen, I added some Afghan regulars to my order as well. May as well break up the monotony of another game with British lines facing down charging hordes of tribal infantry.

As I haven't made a great deal of progress over the last few years, I decided to make good use of my time and get some work done on my two armies. Grabbing the Afghan regulars from the box and undercoating them, I proceeded to look up their uniforms on Google. As it turns out, the Afghan army went through a period of updating their equipment just before the outbreak of hostilities. To smarten up his troops, Sher Ali Khan had purchased a load of surplus uniforms and equipment. This army surplus had largely come from British stocks, so quite a few of his regular units looked remarkably similar to British troops, right down to their red uniforms. At this point I just sighed, it looked like I was going to be painting red again. (I could have painted them in khaki or some other colour I guess, but as I was using khaki for their British opponents, that might have been confusing on the tabletop).

The headgear and footwear of the troops marks them as being non-British infantry. Likewise their weapons were not up to the standard of the modern rifles being used by the imperial troops they faced.


The troops from Herat (below) wore a distinctive hat made of soft black felt. The flag was printed from home after I found a few images on the Lead Adventure Forum.


And here is a shot of both units along with some terrain.


24 infantry should add 120 points to my unofficial score, for a total of 452.5

@NoelW - Is our side duel still on? I haven't seen you mention it, though several of your entries would score points.

These figures are all from the period of 1878-1880, so fit in the bolt action rifle era. Assuming that the side duel is still running, they'll bring my total up to 342.5 points.

19 comments:

  1. They look really nice, I hope you can get a game with those sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. After the virus passes, I'll have to see how many members of my local gaming club I can bully into pla... er, I mean, convince to play using negotiation and diplomacy.

      Delete
  2. Nice painting, Stuart. I've a few of the Afghan regulars to paint up (Perrys) so useful to see your approach (which may magically turn out to be mine, too!)
    Yes, side duel still on, for me. Is it just we two? My total only sits at 90 points, as yet, 'cos most of my painting has been on figures started long ago. But others pending...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm eager to see what you do with yours.
      I think it is just the two of us. I'm trying to get a bit of a head start so that it at least 'looks' like I'm giving you a run for your money.

      Delete
  3. Lovely stuff and at least red ones go faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll bear that in mind as they are charging across the tabletop.

      Delete
  4. Great work Stuart. I don't know anything about this particular conflict...I look forward to reading about it online today while procrastinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The British fought 3 wars with Afghanistan, the Soviets fought another and the American one is still ongoing. The lesson to be learnt from all of them is, Don't invade Afghanistan.

      Delete
  5. Very nice Stuart. I always love seeing those Artizan models painted up. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. Artizan do some very nice ranges. Some of their poses are a little static, but they look good in a group and paint up well.

      Delete
  6. Lovely, great to see the more obscure periods of history get some love 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. There are too many interesting periods and not enough time to do them all sadly.

      Delete
  7. Great looking Afghan regulars! I thought they also fielded some bagpipers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Unfortunately the Artizan command groups only come with a bugler. I'll have to look at other makers to get a bagpiper.

      Delete
  8. You may have see this as something of a burden, but it sure does not show. Cracking figures, I’d love to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks. I'm happy with the result even if the minis hadn't been what I originally hoped to do.

    ReplyDelete