Monday, April 6, 2020

KenR - 28mm Italian Renaissance Town


Well here it is, my Renaissance Town, it was going to be a village but you know how it goes 😂

Like many out there I have had to cancel plans and my holiday in May is off, being an honorary Yarkshire Man the brass was still in my account so it needed "investing" elsewhere and these buildings came into the crosshairs at the right time.


I am dreadfully lazy when it comes to terrain, I can spend hours sorting out detail on figures and flags but when it comes down to buildings and the like I just can't get the enthusiasm.


The buildings are from a Company called Empires at War, I have never heard of them until a few weeks ago. I saw a nice building on eBay, took a punt, it was lovely and I ordered a "few" more.


The buildings are avaliable in plain mdf or for a couple of quid more, painted. The lazy terrain builder in me got painted obviously. I have done nothing to these models apart from build them, and I think they look rather nice.


In fact I sat down with my son over a couple of afternoons to build these, it was really nice to spend some quality family time together, even if the reason for it is a worldwide pandemic.


I would be grateful if one of the Minions or even the Snowlord himself could give me a guide on what points these 11 28mm buildings would bring in the challenge as I have no idea, just for my personal total so it doesn't have to be too accurate.

I will do a much bigger post on Yarkshire Gamer in the next couple of days with a video and lots more pics so drop by if you can.

Now on table are a unit of Italian Wars Gendarme which got prepared for AHPC X but never got started.

31 comments:

  1. Lovely looking Italian wars town! It's splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great town, and probably find for more than Italy. The tower and chapel look particularly good, I think. Were they easy to put together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Noel, quite straight forward, window frames a little fiddly but other than that a breeze. Check out the full report 9n my blog soon.

      Regards Ken

      Delete
  3. Looks good. Nice that the second photo shows a current Italian town in lockdown.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers Ray, lovely when they come pre painted 👍

      Delete
  5. Lovely work Ken. I'm with you on terrain in general - I love having it, but always struggle to get enthused about actually doing it. These look very, very nice (that tower is spectacular), though I still have an issue with the precision of MDF kits for older structures like this. Too many perfectly flat planes and 90 degree corners - it sort of looses its humanity, if that makes sense. Still, I shudder at the cost of amassing something similar in resin.

    As to points, we give 20 for each 6x6 inch cube of volume. That being said I would estimate that this would give you a tidy 300-350 points? Again, wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Curt, I know what you're saying 're the perfect symmetry of the mdf buildings but cost is factor and I am well pleased with these. Cheers for the points estimate, will add it to my imaginary total which is now 501 points 👍

      Delete
    2. No, I totally get it mate. With that price and prepainted to boot?! Cripes, I think I may blink on that deal myself. Good one.

      Delete
  6. They look great Ken, I went over to the makers website. I kinda like doing terrain but I’m weird that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Peter, some one has to like doing terrain and you are that man 😁

      Delete
  7. Great work Ken. I can never get off my @ss to do terrain, and would happily paint 100 figures before I touch a single building...but as you and Curt say, I love HAVING the terrain...this looks great. And it's also so cool to see your Italian Wars stuff out for a stroll :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I love pre painted buildings and having my lad home to help build them 👍

      Delete
  8. Very nice, the close-up of the pike block marching down main street is spectacular! I always love seeing your fantastic Italian Wars figures. Which has me looking forward to your Gendarmes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I couldn't leave them in the box for the photos 👍

      Delete
  9. Lovely work Ken - might double up for WW2 Italian campaign buildings as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂 you trying to tempt me into a new collection ! Would work with my SCW figs though 🤔

      Delete
  10. Very impressive -- I love the colour palette and how it all looks. I'm wrestling with starting my first stab at terrain now but want to make sure I do it in such a way that it will be usable with the large Impetus bases I'm working with. I'm thinking villages and woods with suitable gaps for 1-2 bases and in the case of woods perhaps pull out stands of trees so bases can be placed in the wood when needed. Great pity that Empires at War don't do anything medieval European as their stuff looks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, I'm not a fan of fixed terrain, I think the flexibility of individually mounted buildings and road sections on a good game mat allows you to vary gaps based on what figs you are using works best.

      Delete
  11. Great post! Many 28 mm Renaissance period gamers are jealously looking at these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The buildings look pretty effective to display in a wargame table, although I have some issues with MDF scenery in general vs resin. Looking good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Resin would be nice but if I had bought these in resin they would have sat unpainted in a box for years. I think the tower would be impossible in resin as well.

      Delete