Friday, May 14, 2021

From SanderS: Epic? Not so much!

 Hoi,

 

As a subscriber to Wargames Illustrated I regularly get their freebies; plastic sprues provided by big brands (mostly Warlord Games) to get the gamer into new periods. One of the recent issues came with a sprue of the new 15mm ACW Epic batlles figures from WG. Now I have literally enough figures in 1:72 scale lying here to make 22 batallions of 24 figures each, so I have no intentions to start the ACW in 15mm but I gave these a try since I had them anyway. I am sorry if my opinions are going to offend any of you, but: I really do not like these figures at all! They are lacking in detail, depth and the fact they are moulded together in rows makes them not only hard to paint but to base as well (at least using my tried and tested way of basing). 








Therefore these are not my best work ever and so I am not proud of them, but since i have painted these within the time frame of this challenge I thought I'd post them anyway.  

Cheers Sander


14 comments:

  1. Don’t be too hard on yourself, I think they’ve come out a treat! I like all the detail you’ve put into such teensy weensy (that’s an official wargaming scale) figures so I’m impressed with what you’ve done with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, that's very kind. I might perhaps have been unclear: it is not that I dislike my painting of these figures: I dislike the figures themselves! I have several 15mm metals which are far better defined and make painting them a joy: I did not experience that with these figures ;-)

      Delete
  2. I think you did a great job on these, Sander. They are small 15mm I hear (13.5 officially I think), so they are designed for the mass effect. Personally, I like 10mm better for that purpose, but these look very fine to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mate! Yeah they felt smaller too.

      Delete
  3. They look terrific Sander. I really like their mottled appearance and the mass effect, but like Martijn, I wish they had just gone with 10mm so they could work better with other ranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it has confirmed my conclusion that anything smaller than 1:72 is not for me!

      Delete
  4. Nice work, the models have come out really well. I'm more of a 28mm person myself, but if I did decide to work on smaller scale minis, it wouldn't be these. Having all the minis shoulder to shoulder just looks strange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, so as far as I am concerned, this will be an one off experiment ;-)

      Delete
  5. Well done Sander - they look good, your brushwork has turned out very well on this. But I agree with you on the let-down factor overall of this "Epic" stuff...these figures are a disappointment in many ways.
    At the same time, it seems to excited some folks - so clearly there is a variety of interests out there...it will be interesting to see if it takes off in a sustained way overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good point indeed Greg, at the moment they seem to be going to support it pretty well, but let's see if it will last. Either way, the only manner in which I see myself painting more of these, is for someone else, not for my own collection!

      Delete