Thursday, April 2, 2020

From Curt: Pak 40 Anti Tank Gun (25 Points)


We're almost a week into the Quarantine Challenge, with a very tidy 32 posts under our collective belt. Great work folks - well done!  The week coming to a close also means that my self-imposed deadline of submitting post each week is fast approaching.

So I was casting about my hobby room trying to figure out what to do next, when Nick came to the rescue by tweeting me, asking what was going on with my 20mm WWII Italian Theatre project. The quick response was 'well, nothing actually', but it did make me think and prompted me to uncover a few half-completed projects I had been working on; one of them being this German Pak 40 that has been sitting on my desk for the past year or so.


This is fitting as I had done up a trio of Canadian Shermans from the Three Rivers Tank Regiment a while ago and thought that they needed some opponents to give them a bit of pause. 

This is a plastic kit from PSC. They do a very nice job on the gun, with lots of nice extra bits, but I found the figures to be a bit soft in detail. No matter, as we all know, everything looks better with a lick of paint, right? 


I had some extra MDF wall bits left over from Byron's excellent Italian buildings he designed for me and so decided to have the gun nestled in a wrecked structure, waiting in ambush. This will provide a nice anti-tank option for German players in our ongoing Italian theatre games.

Okay, this should give me 25 points, with 10 points for the gun and 15 for the three gunners. This will put my running total at 45 points towards my 500 point target. Yikes, time to get a wiggle on!

-Curt


20 comments:

  1. Lovely looking anti tank gun,the wreckage is great too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent as always Curt, the gun looks amazing with the weathering and the flaking paint (just how do you that: painting something like is it badly painted) and the base is simply a gem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn! The weathering is actually very easy once you see the technique used (lots of excellent tutorials on YouTube). I often use a bit of figure packing foam, dipped in a dark grey or dark brown paint. Dab a bit along edges/areas that would naturally see wear and corrosion. After that dries I then go in and carefully place a few dots of dull metallic or bright orange into the center of the dabbed areas. Then I give it a wash of Agrax Earthshade or Army Painter strong tone. Done. It takes a bit of practice and playing with colours, but it works nicely for arms-length figures like mine.

      Delete
  3. Awesome Pak 40, that will definitely make your Shermans think twice before advancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. Yes, these can often be quite ferocious, especially if the rules reflect them firing hidden or from ambush.

      Delete
  4. Very nice the Pak40 is a very usful bit of kit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work dude - the gun and crew are fabulous, but I am consistently blown away by the level of cool basing you have bringing to your stuff over the past number of years, gets better all the time. The rubble just "makes" the setting, and is a great accent for the gun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Greg. Weirdly, I often find I enjoy doing the basework as much as the figures.

      Delete
  6. Nice work on the Pak Curt, soft details or not the crew paint up well and your basing rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome Curt, top job mate 👍

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome as ever Curt, makes me envious of your skills all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's extremely nice, but the basing takes it to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I'm all about that basing, wow!

    ReplyDelete