Friday, April 3, 2020

From StuartL - Normans and Japanese

Hi all,

When Challenge X finished and Curt suggested the Quarantine Challenge, I thought it was a great idea. If folks are going to be kept indoors all day, they can at least have fun painting. Here in Japan we don't have a quarantine yet. We probably should, but the government is really dragging it's heels. So far they have done nothing and it seems like they have already run out of ideas. Despite the virus arriving in Japan fairly early on, the rate of infection was really slow and people didn't seem to care that much about it. Even now, when the number of sick people seems to be going up every day, the trains are still packed and everyone dutifully goes off to work. At my place of work a guy showed up to work running a high fever, spent all day at the office and only went to see a doctor after he finished. Luckily he just had a bad cold, but everyone was very angry with him. When confronted about it by HR, he told them that he had a lot of work to do so couldn't take a day off, (Actually he could have, the company is pretty good about sick days), so he had decided to come to work and risk spreading a potentially deadly virus around the busiest department in the company. Great.

So, while I live in constant fear that I'm going to be infected by some workaholic with a report to finish, I am spending my free time getting some paint on some minis and trying to take my mind off the impending doom that awaits me when I go to work.


This group of 14 Normans for Saga comes from one of Wargames Foundry's sub-websites (Casting Room Miniatures I believe) and Conquest Games. Size wise, they go together fairly well. The plastic Conquest figures have longer spears cast in their hands while the Foundry minis have smaller, razor sharp, brass spears glued into their giant mitten-like paws. I undercoated these just before the QC was announced, but most of the work was done on them since last weekend.


My lead and plastic mountain is pretty large, and a fair part of it is minis for Bolt Action. With the QC I decided that I would try and reduce the pile a little, and even offered up a side duel for people to paint any minis from the era of the Bolt Action Rifle (roughly 1825-1955-ish). The duel is still open if anyone fancies joining in. Any scale, any minis, any nation, just so long as the period fits, you can score points (using the standard AHPC system). These 12 Japanese infantrymen are my first attempt to lower the unpainted count and score some points.


To accompany the rifle squad above, I have a light mortar team, an officer, a standard bearer and a flame thrower as well. All of the minis are from Warlord Games.

For my own records, that's 14 Norman and 17 Japanese 28mm figures at 5 points each for a total of 155 points. This represents about 1/4 of the minis I painted in Challenge X and I did all these within just one week.

For the Bolt-Action side duel, 17 Japanese figures gives me 85 points on the score board.

20 comments:

  1. Good looking Normans and lovely WW2 Japs! Good luck with your perilous work environment!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Health and safety (and painting minis) are my top priority, even if the people around me are oblivious.

      Delete
  2. When I saw "Normans and Japanese" I thought to myself - "should be an interesting battle report!"

    Nicely done Stuart. In terms of your duel...any restrictions on scale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would make for a pretty short game I'd think. Chainmail doesn't do much against light machine guns.

      As for the side duel, no restrictions so long as the models fall within the time period. 28mm ACW cavalry, 1/1800 scale battleships, 15mm tanks, it's really up to you.

      Delete
  3. Nice work Stuart! Good luck on staying healthy and your lead mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great posting. I think the thinner spears look slightly better but they go together well enough. Nice work on the Japanese, that officer really looks likes he is meaning business! Stay healthy and remember that the great majority of people simply get better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree about the thinner spears, though they've already managed to draw blood once during the painting process.

      Delete
  6. My money is on the Japanese, unless those shields are bulletproof 😉

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice work on these Stuart. I find Casting Room to be a bit hit-or-miss but these look quite nice.

    I too am still at work, so I can sympathize with your anxiety. Thankfully I have a very conscientious staff who I can trust to stay home if they are feeling unwell or compromised. Still, it's a constant underlying tension that's almost palpable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Casting Room weren't my first choice, but a friend offered me a good deal on them. The sculpting is generally ok, but the hands are dreadful and some of the faces are a little weird. At gaming distances nobody will notice though.

      Delete
  8. Great Japanese, but the knights really caught my eye , great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice Japanese, but the simple Norman shields are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't like mucking about with transfers on shields, so I try to use a variety of straight-forward schemes on all of my dark age minis.

      Delete