Friday, April 3, 2020

From SimonG: The Merry Men - Some HYW Ribauds

A pretty pair of skirmisher stands -- the Wargames Foundry ribands. Again an older set of Perry sculpts. These are very variable in quality -- some things good, for example 6 of 8 faces are really characterful and crisp. And some things are terrible -- hands and feet for example are all over the place and the two bare footed characters look more like frogs than humans!




They came without spears for the two running figures which needed to be drilled and added plus the bow strings of course. The shields also seem rather too clean and precise for these peasant soldiers so I did my best to muss them up.

Overall however they painted up nicely even though I tried to tone down my palette somewhat to suit less expensive and rougher clothing. I'm really pleased with how the horns turned out.







Next up are some Front Rank mounted knights. These are rather freaky sculpts with extra long right arms and a restricted (single!) range of poses. I did my best to convert one to hold a standard albeit via severe surgery as the very stiff metal is not at all open to bending. I'm not looking forward to all the heraldry on the caparisons but no matter! (and for those who care about these things I think the horse look and at least one of the helms are early HYW and more C14 than my target late 1420s period but again we work with what we have! Lets just say that this particular knight inherited that helm from his granddad!



10 comments:

  1. I was going to make a ribauld comment, but couldn't think of one. Like you, I've mixed feelings about those early Perry sculpts - but I guess we must remember how their skills have developed over the years. A good paint job, nevertheless, and taking the time to string bows is admirable! (Next you'll be bending wires to arrange a volley of arrows in midflight!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking bunch of peasants and looking forward to the knights!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. The peasants are revolting ! I know I can smell them from here 😂 nice job 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice painting, I like the hoodies! The bowstrings are again a nice touch; I don't care about painting a 6mm cuirassier but the thought of fiddeling with 28mm bowstrings makes me shudder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, scruffy looking skirmish types. The shields are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have just proven how much figures benefit from an excellent paint job! Awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi guys -- thanks for all the kind comments, I really liked the characters in these figures -- made me think of Asterix and already planning some sort of Celtic army for a future project

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebellious peasants! Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete