Friday, April 3, 2020

From MartijnN: QCWk2 - More small matters

For my second weekly hobby task I give you two tiny brigades of 6mm Prussian infantry.


As I said, I have been experimenting with the Citadel Contrast paints. I used Talassar Blue for the coats, and they definitely turned out lighter than my other units. I don't think that really is a problem, it is usually said that it is better to user lighter shader for 6mm figures anyway. I find the contrast paints a bit of a mixed blessing; the effects are nice and the paint flows very smoothly, but you have to undercoat in white. That means that you have to be very careful in your painting because you don't have a dark undercoat to hide your little mistakes, while on the other hand it is very difficult to paint very carefully with them as you cannot allow the colours to overlap. Still, a wash with Agrax Earthshade works wonders and I am pretty pleased how they turned out. Figures are once again from the Baccus range, as are the flags.

They are for my 1866 project, but that should roll over smoothly (ahem) into an 1870 project, and therefore I also did some French 6mm houses. These are resin TimeCast models. The models are nice enough (although the details are not very crisp, which in hindsight makes them perhaps less suitable for the contrast paints). I still gave them a wash with Agrax Earthshade and a light drybrush.They are very large models, unfortunately (this little row is six inches wide and two deep), so a small village quickly becomes a town on the table, but they definitely represent the houses in Lorraine very well.


I'm perhaps not entirely happy with these, as the contrast has left some staining, but from a distance of two feet they are decent enough.

Thanks for looking and stay safe!

9 comments:

  1. Great little units. I think the houses look good, the staining makes them looked older and more weathered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the contrast paint, it's an art I am not able to utilise...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The houses look fine - that staining seems perfectly natural to me; in fact, an effect with reproducing. And the figures are great, very effective 6mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little Prussians and of course if you're doing 1870 French in 6mm and Austrians for 1866 you can do 1859 too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking figs, love the bases with the skirmish line 👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on these! They look great to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I applaud your use of Contrast paints on these small minis. As you say it takes careful brushwork as the paint itself is quite fluid. The buildings have a nice desaturated look to them. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete