Sunday, April 5, 2020

From Millsy: Italian Condotierri

Having missed the AHPC X I was really keen to jump on board here and make some serious headway on the lead and plastic mountain. Thanks Curt for making this possible mate! Thanks also to everyone who checked in on me over the summer as I worked on the bushfires with my RFS mates.

Its something of an embarrassment for me that despite the fact I did all the layout and design for Simon Miller's wonderful To the Strongest! rules I have only ever played a couple of games and don't own a single complete army I can use to play. This seems like an excellent opportunity to rectify that so here we go with three units for my Italian Condottieri, eerily similar to Simon's own army of the same type...

Firstly, Venetian militia spearmen from the Perry Miniatures Eurpoean Mercenaries box set mixed with parts from the War of the Roses sets. The large round shields (aka rotella) are thumb tacks with the spike removed. They came out well but were a bugger to get the paint to adhere to.





Next up a pair of skirmishing infantry units, handgunners from Florence and Venice once again. Also from the Perry Miniatures Eurpoean Mercenaries box set mixed with parts from the War of the Roses sets.







I've recently taken delivery of yet another(!) big pile of plastic from the brothers Perry so stay tuned for a bunch of mounted knights to flesh out the heavy cavalry for the army.

Stay safe people and keep the wonderful work coming.

Cheers,
Millsy

19 comments:

  1. You were missed on the challenge,good to see your back!Lovely looking Venetian pike and shot! I used tacks for lots of my dark age Irish, they seemed to come up alright with the car spray primer I used, maybe I was just lucky!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely lovely, Millsy. Great painting! I am itching to get some more Perrys on bases, m'self.


    ReplyDelete
  3. We missed you. Great to see these - I love Italian Wars figs and these are a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see you back in the game Millsy 👍 got some of these in the pipeline myself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work on the units. The shields look like they were worth the extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work and lovely rocky bases. Interesting to see how handgun technology advanced since the HYW period I’m mired in 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant figures as usual mate but more importantly: HE's BACK, HE'S BACK, the man is BACK! Hope you're doing well and keeping safe my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to have you back. Lovely work on these

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous figures! I love the way you have used the livery colours to obtain a degree of uniformity while keeping them different all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you’re back Millsy! You were sorely missed indeed. Wonderful work on that Wotr stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work Millsy, I may have to get some of these figures underway. I love the idea of using thumbtacks as rondellas. Back in the day we just pushed them into air fix plastics as a shield.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's wonderful to have you back with us Millsy. Beautiful work on these, mate. Just stonking. I really love how you did the basework for these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for the comments and the welcome back. I very much missed being around and seeing all the wonderful work people submit so it is great to be back in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking impressive, Millsy! Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic - looking forward to cavalry next !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome stuff Millsy, and great to see you again! Welcome!

    ReplyDelete