Tuesday, May 12, 2020

From PeterD a Couple of Bridges in 28mm

Configuration one - a three span and a two span bridge.

I've been doing a few projects during the quarantine lockdown, some new and and finishing up of half-completed work from before.  This time up I've got a couple of bridges in 28mm (Beau and Jeff?) from Sarissa Precission.  Sarissa sells these mdf kits in various combinations and I don't recall exactly what combination I ordered.  However the end result is that I have two sets of on and off ramps plus three centre spans, enough to give me two bridges of various lengths depending on the combination of spans that I select.  Bridges feature in a lot of historical battles and make for good missions is a Table Top Teaser action.
Going for maximum length here.

To make these bits fully morphable, I painted these all in the same basic pseudo-Sienna stone for that I used for my Italian Wars buildings posted during Challenge X. These were started early in Challenge X but just finished recently.  

Auvergne regiment crosses the span.  The ruler shows that it nearly a 12" feature.

Normally I find Sarissa kits easy to assemble, but I had trouble with the roadbed on a couple of the ramps and made a bit of a hash of them.  If the ends don't meet up as cleanly as they should, this is also down to me not the kit.
In simplest form a single span bridge.

I kept terraforming down to a minimum.  I put gravel at the edges of the road work and various tufts and clumps to represent vegetation, including trying to get the impression of flowering vines.  For the mid-stream spans I hemmed and hawed between painting the bases to represent water or greenery.  In the end I opted for greenery so that they could stand on midstream islands if required and also to represent weeds and such growing on the bridge piers.  

12 comments:

  1. Very useful bits of terrain. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bridges are always useful and these are nice and adaptable, good ubiquitous finish too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. They should do for many periods and theatres.

      Delete
  3. Very versatile models. They look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn, I’m pleased with the results.

      Delete
  4. Nice additions to the terrain collection 👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful work Pete! I really like the option of the longer span. As a suggestion, you may want to try a wash over your groundwork so it compliments your sepia road surface. I've used simple thinned paint mixed with some white glue to help keep everything affixed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Curt I’ll give that a try

    ReplyDelete