Saturday, May 2, 2020

From PeterD SYW Auvergne Regiment in 28mm



Bad photo but i shows the full regiment ready for battle.

It's been a while since I've posted.  I've been very busy with the  end of semester for the last few weeks and I was sick as a dog all last weekend.  Today is the first Saturday in May and the wonderful day when I wake up and check what course prep I have for the week to come and then realize that there isn't any as I have no classes until after Labour Day!

I did use a couple of evenings each week to get some rehab painting in and finished up the 24 man French Auvergne Regiment from my Seven Years War  project.  As noted in prior posts I tend to do my foot regiments in units of 24, finished in three batches of eight.  Often I have two or three batches underway at once at different stages of progress.  This year I've been saving up my work until I have the full unit.  I then base them at the same time and post the full unit.
I only took pictures from the front but the white on the back of the bases are unit tables including the name a a jpg of the Ordonnance colour to help keep organization straight.  Crusader NCO is second from the right.

Figures are mostly Crusader with Front Rank figures being used for the officer and standard bearers.  I find the the Crusader packs have enough subtle variation in marching pose to give cohesion without being monopose.  I included 4 grenadiers and a few with coats without turn backs to add variety.  Of course the grenadiers are over represented, bu the caps look nice.  I like the Crusader drummers and the sergeant with partizan (long pokey stick) but I'm not a huge fan of the Crusader officers so sub in the Front Rank figures.  There is a size difference between ranges but it seems to work.
I normally manage to get better variety on the my bases but these guys all seem distracted by something off screen on our right.  I really like the grenadier drummer casting.

When you do a "French" Infantry regiment for King Louis' army, you're got a limited choice of facing colours mostly blue, red or none on grey uniforms to choose from (foreign regiments let you add blue or red coats).  At least it's not the snooze fest of Napoleonic French or Russian where every damn unit wears the same damn facings.  So the chance to do a regiment with Violet facings makes for more variety on table.  Plus Auvergne had some chops to stand on, notably a piquet company saved the day at Clostercamp by alerting the army to the Erbprinz' dawn attack.
The two middle figures are Front Rank and they fit in with the rankers just fine.  The chap on the right has left his coat unbuttoned.  The Ordonnance is black and violet quarters but they look alike in the lighting.

The flags were "borrowed" from the wonderful work of David over at Not By Appointment.  A quick download, resizing and real life cut and paste was all that was required




22 comments:

  1. Nicely done Peter, always good to see a unit come to completion 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Peter, are you aware of the Project Kronoskaf website? It has uniform detail on almost ALL armies/ countries involved in 7YW http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=French_Army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ipthanks Sander. I am a regular visitor to the Kronoskaf site!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous Frenchmen. The regiment looks splendid, the mixed figures fit in together very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Stuart. I’m quite pleased with the end result.

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking French unit! All very classy and understated!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done Peter - always a good feeling to have another regiment roll off of the line, right? I'm impressed at how well the Front Rank and Crusader figures match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Greg. My first cut based on bare metal was that they wouldn’t but the painted figs blend right in. I think part of this is the full coats hide some of the FR bulkiness, but also it’s the fact that humanity comes in all shapes and sizes.

      Delete
  6. Great work Peter. I always like the look of the French from this period.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fine-looking regiment, love the drummer and the slightly varied poses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Martijn. Gotta love a drummer

    ReplyDelete
  9. These have come out an absolute treat. I pity the poor beggars having to keep white uniforms neat whilst on campaign!

    ReplyDelete