Sunday, April 11, 2021

From Curt: Fire Ember Kobolds for D&D


In my previous post I introduced our original party of D&D adventurers from 1980. From that, my friend Gary and I have decided to amuse ourselves by playing a small campaign which will serve as the prelude chapter for our doughty heroes.

So, for their first adventure, I thought I'd start them off with some classic, old-school, low-level dungeon villains in the form of, yes, you guessed it, Kobolds!

So, with Kobolds in mind, I had to find some figures that could fill the ranks. This was a little difficult as I didn't really like many of the dog-faced versions, preferring the more draconic look.

To the rescue came this boxed set from Epic Encounters aptly titled the 'Shrine of the Kobold Queen'. 


With this set, not only do you get a good sized batch of Kobolds, but you're also treated with an additional monster (a Basilisk!), an excellent adventure and a two-sided play mat - a terrific value! (I say in my best car salesman voice)

Out of the box, they came in bright red, moulded hard plastic. The sculpts are pretty characterful, well-defined and a pleasure to paint. Below is a sampling of the twenty miniatures from the set. 

Kobold warriors with bow and spear & shield. There are eight of these in the box, giving a nice base for the mob.

Fire Ember Snakes with Kobold rider. There are four of these in the set - Giddyup!


As I wanted to get them on the table for play, I didn't shilly-shally around with a lot of fine detail. Lots of contrast paints and a few highlights - Bam! Done.

Kobold Kleric


Kobold Champion


One of the two Kobold Assassins

Magma Belcher Basilisk(!) and Kobold handlers


Yep, a poster-child for mirrors and Pepto Bismol, this guy barfs lava AND can turn you to stone. So, definitely not recommended as a house pet.


Mother Krangor


As to points, I'm scoring the 14 rank and file Kobolds as 20mm foot figures and the Basilisk as the equivalent of a 20mm gun. Mother Krangor and the Fire Ember Snakes I think are around 40mm. So, that gives me a grand total of 99 points. This, added to the 30 points of my other two posts, will give me 129 points, enough to exceed my 120 point target. Hooray! This is especially good, as scuttlebutt has it that my age group is getting called up for the jab soon.

That being said I hope to have another couple of entries up soon!

- Curt

16 comments:

  1. Wow think I last heard the word "kobolds" about 20 years ago - seem to remember they fought using the 4 sided die?? Anyway cant resist keep looking at the posts here although had my jab .... Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! As soon as I was thinking of low-level opponents for the party I immediately thought of these guys. Thanks for dropping in Jez!

      Delete
  2. An Awesome and creepy looking bunch of Nasties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough looking tiny dragonoids Curt. Having digestive issues myself I have some sympathy for the fire belching critter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. As long as you're not turning Lynn to stone then it's just a bathroom issue. :)

      Delete
  4. The kobolds look great. For a group of low level threats, Kobolds can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart! Yes, they are iconic low-level beasties.

      Delete
  5. Smashing set of figures. Always good to laugh at kobolds when encountering them..... until they gang up on you and stab your heroic PC to death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie! I know of what you speak. Our doughty band of adventurers were heavily taxed trying to fight off these nasties once they mobbed up.

      Delete
  6. Great bunch of figures, Curt. I like that Magma Belcher Basilisk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn, he's my favourite as well.

      Delete
  7. So cool dude, very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Curt! Has a distinctive Diablo (The PC game) flair to it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no nowledge of the game or the figures, but your painting, as per usual, is top notch Curt!

    ReplyDelete