Sunday, April 11, 2021

From StuartL - An Imperial Guardsman

Hi All,

I haven't posted anything for a while, so first off I'd like to apologise for that. Sorry. After AHPC XI, I thought that I was ready to get back to the painting desk straight away, but as it transpires, I needed a little time to refresh. Having previously painted up a single marine for the Vaccine Challenge, I have now painted up a single Imperial Guardsman. 


I started painting up a bunch of minis a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't seem to get them looking right. In frustration I gave up on them and decided it was time for a break. Over the winter holidays, I had downloaded a bunch of PC games, so I figured that they would provide a bit of a distraction from the old painting desk. I got really into a game called Wargame: Red Dragon, a cold-war tactical simulator with US, Chinese, and Russian armies among others. I spent every free minute for the past week or so playing it until I finally got bored. I finally went back to my hobby room on Friday evening and started looking over the models I had started previously to see where I could pick up from.


There are a few more models in the works, but I did get this one guy finished and ready for photographing. I'm trying to avoid batch painting for a while, so there is just one lone guardsman here. I've added some insignia to the shoulder pads as well as some weathering on his armour and gun.


Hopefully you'll be seeing a lot more of my posts over the next few weeks. I've got my head back in the game and a stack of minis to paint up.

5 comments:

  1. That a very fine, hard-bitten guardsman, Stuart. Great brushwork.

    Our video projector bulb finally gave up the ghost a week or so ago, and we're still awaiting delivery of a new lamp. It's what's hooked up to my Xbox, otherwise I'd be like you, doing a Challenge denouement with a video game. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt.
      A broken projector bulb seems like a good opportunity to do more painting.

      Delete
  2. Great work, Stuart! Yes, batch painting can get at you after a time. This is a great way to ease into things again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I generally prefer batch painting as I have a huge backlog, but it's good to change the pace every now and again.

      Delete