Tuesday, April 6, 2021

From MartijnN: Miscellaneous Models

Well, we did not have much of a winter over here, but now that Spring has arrived Winter is coming. At least this is what I saw looking out into the garden this morning:


Thinking back to the Challenge and my grandiose scheme and what came of it I realized that I am more of the squirrel type. So, as it is about time to get a first post in here are some models I mostly intended more for the Chambers of Challenge than for anything else. As  a matter of fact I rarely play anything other than the smaller scales, so these larger models  are not that likely to see a tabletop anytime soon. However, I liked painting them much more than I had expected, and that's a real bonus for me from taking part in the Challenge. Often, I consider painting more of a necessity than a fun activity in and of itself, and to my surprise this is starting to change somewhat!

First is a Stone Golem from the Scourge of Valtan Forest Kickstarter. I had originally planned to do him for the Golem's Haunt, but I could not get a decent print at first and then I came across the fake elephants and did those. However, thanks to a new printer I did get a good print so I painted him up. I am sure he will find use as a giant in Warmaster or Hordes of the Things. Nominally part of  a 28mm range he stands about 50mm tall so I will count him as a 28mm cavalry figure for 10 points.



Next up is a wolf from the same range. Painted in various shades of grey I am happy how he turned out. Not really fitting any of the chambers, but surely there must be a use for a wolf somewhere? If only for crying too often? One 28mm figure for 5 points.


For the Larder I entered a sitting Arabian merchant. The figure had a companion, a sitting beggar. Perhaps a good entry for the Hall of Ancestors? Didn't get there in the end. Just a very simple but fun figure, if only for its unusual subject. Like the merchant, from the Lovecraft Desert Adventures Kickstarter. 5 points.



Finally, a piece likely to see some tabletop use. It might have been entered for The Shrine, for it is a vicarage or rectory from Leven Miniatures, who come heartily recommended for quality of products and service. I really think that smaller scale terrain is a bit undervalued in the cube system used and that 6mm buildings might be better scored as vehicles or as a (somewhat) larger scale miniature. However, as this little house measures 4cm x 3cm x 3cm or 36 cm3 it is 36/3375 of a 20 points cube or 0,21 points. Let's be generous and count a full point.



So there you have it, 21 points. And away we are!

8 comments:

  1. Very nice start! I do like the beggar in particular and I’m sure he’ll look great as an objective (what does he know?) or as table dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice mix of models. It's always better to have too many options at the start of the challenge, that way you can paint what you feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work I really like that wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice collection. I agree with Adam in the wolf, also the brickwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Martijn, I particularly like the beggar. Is that a 3d print? A wonderful, characterful figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice stuff, it is amazing how 3D printing has improved over the last few years

    ReplyDelete