Saturday, April 4, 2020

From Curt: 'Baba Yaga' - John Wick @ 1:05:48


Hi All!

When I saw that Spectre Miniatures had issued a limited edition figure of John Wick I knew I had to snap one up. While I've not been especially enamoured with the overall trilogy (silly assassin meta and increasing bloat), I really enjoyed the first movie's brutal simplicity.


While I was cleaning up the figure, getting it ready for priming, I was trying to recall what Wick's shirt colour was when this scene was shot. I knew he wore a white collared shirt in the earlier bar scenes, but I was pretty sure he changed to all black later in the film. 

1:05:48

So, for a bit of fun, I decided to spin up Netflix and watch the movie again to see if I could both sort out the shirt colour and also spot the moment where the pose originates. Sure enough, at 1:05:48 he's seen swapping his assault rifle for a pistol in his now iconic black suit.


For painting him I used thin layers of dark grey over a black base. Should have been easy but was fiddly as heck.

Trying to photograph black on black is evil. I must have blazed through a hundred shots to get something workable. Thank goodness for digital cameras!


On a related note, a few people have asked what process I use for working on clear acrylic bases. Well, you can definitely use normal superglue to mount the figure, just be sparing with the glue and keep the finished work away from any moisture while it's curing as it will frost the acrylic base. A fire-and-forget approach is to use this GS E600 glue as it doesn't frost and gives good adhesion. I don't know what it's made of (I suspect ground unicorn horns and distilled pixie tears), but it works. I picked my tube up from GreenStuff World.


Mr. Wick will give me another 5 points, bringing me up to 50 overall. Gee, just 450 to go...

Thanks for dropping in!

Curt

15 comments:

  1. You are a man of focus, commitment and sheer will. I agree the first was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent, like the movies. Mindless gun fu fun. In filming the 1st Star Wars movie when they were shooting the scene after they got out of the garbage compactor Mark Hammill said "Shouldn't our hair be wet". "Harrison Ford replied "It's not that sort of movie son"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious movies, and source of many a great meme

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he turned out great. And I thoroughly envy you your photography skills! I'm sure I would have ended up with a black square...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool Curt! Reminds me I have yet to indulge in the third instalment...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking black on black figure with a black background!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super work Curt and great job on the black!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, black is definately one of the hardest things to get right 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely looking figure, you've nailed the black.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admit to not having seen any if the Wick movies, the figure however is top-notch!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well done my friend! Haven’t seen the move but judging from the still yo've captured the scene perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice work. I suspect Trump your access to unicorn powders as being essential to some wacky cure he’s touting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the kind comments everyone, much appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fine brushwork dude...I've never seem the films (hides after revealing self to be so out of touch) but this looks so sharp, great work.

    ReplyDelete