Saturday, April 4, 2020

From PeteF - Old School Napoleonics Finally Get Bases (0 points)


There's a big glass cabinet in my mum's house. It used to hold a good portion of my dad's 100 days campaign Anglo-Allied army. My brother was going to inherit this wonderful collection - there are a few thousand... I haven't yet counted them - but after his untimely passing the "bloody little soldiers" as my mum calls them came to me. Each time I visit I pack some regiments and bring them home. There are still 2 big shelves of the original five full of hussars, light dragoons and red coated infanty. They were painted by my dad in the 1980s and 1990s - humbrol paints with Ospreys for uniform guidance.

Before

These five battalions are from my last visit - the soldiers in the cabinet are lined up in rows with no bases. For wargaming I am putting them four to a 30x40 base, which will do for all the systems they are likely to play (for grand tactical games like Blucher I put 2 bases together - but I'm not sure 25mm is best for these games). I thought about going old school and basing them plainly but decided I like the look of flocking and static grass - so each base gets cat litter for texture and to hide the integral bases, medium brown ballast, blended green flock and some grass.



The troops were collected to represent the whole of Wellington's 100 days army on a ratio of 25:1. I have my dad's index cards - with a card for each unit detailing the models (mainly Minifigs and Hinchcliffe), where the unit was in the order of battle and so on. This has been useful figuring out what's what. Here are three battalions of Kings German Legion line infantry, a battalion of Hanoverian Landwehr and the 14th British Line (the Bucks). I kept the original faded and shiny flags for the 14th.
My Dad's meticulous Index Cards (note the letraset decals)

Some on display - most go to Really Useful Boxes - one day there'll be a wargaming room!
One of my main projects is to paint enough Frenchies to face off against this lot in a really big battle. I doubt I'll have it in me to do Waterloo (over 100 infantry battalions and many many dragoons, chasseurs a cheval and cuirassiers) but I'm slowly assembling enough foot sloggers to recreate Quatres Bras. Whatever happens with the larger project when quaratine is over these troops will be part of a bloody big battle with my wargaming friends. 



For the Quarantine Challenge I'm aiming to complete a hobby project each week - this is one that's been on the shelf since my last trip back to the Old Country in far off 2019.  There are still hundreds of red coats back in England - along with their commander. I agreed with my mum that when the time comes and the last troops leave their original home that Wellington will be the one last out.









14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! I hope my kids do not just sell my models away when I'm not here. Love those old sculpting lead models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic collection! And great that you're giving them a new lease of life.
    With regards to Waterloo, you could always stage a version of it with proportional brigades, using some rather than all the figures. I think there were 25 Allied brigades, so you could use one battalion = one brigade. (My version of Waterloo currently does this and it more or less works).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely trip down memory lane, I still have plenty of Minifigs in my 15mm Napoleonic armies, Always aim for the top, after all Waterloo isn't that big (compared to Leipzig anyway 😂)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely figures, lovely story and nice basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a great collection! Wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a fantastic story! I used to own some of those Hinchliff and Minifigs models myself, those were among the first I ever painted. Brings back happy memories, good show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this story and this collection. The figures and basing look excellent, but I have to say the star of this is your dad's lovingly organised index cards. Brilliant. Such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That really floated your archival boat huh Curt?

      Delete
    2. You know me all too well, Mr. Mills. :)

      Delete
  8. Man that takes me back. Had a pile of French and Polish on the same vintage painted in the same way. Good to see some classic lead still getting love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great old figures. Well done on refreshing them and getting them ready for gaming again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent figures and nicely painted!

    ReplyDelete