Saturday, April 4, 2020

From ClarenceH: Cameron Highlanders, Sudan 1885

When I decided to start this project, I knew I wanted to paint a highlander battalion. It would probably save me a huge headache to paint some 'standard' troops first, but there you go.


Here's my first test model... forgive the poor photography (I just used my phone rather than bothering to set up camera). I was pretty happy with the results until I saw the chap at 300%...  LOL! They should look good enough in a mob. I'll be using Perry Miniatures for the most part. I've decided to use Games Workshop paints rather than Foundry as I would normally do for historicals. They have really expanded their collection (there must be more than 30 shades of brown and tan - more if you stray into earthtone reds and yellows). I haven't varnished this model yet and I feel like that intensifies the colors and gives a smoother appearance, but I'll do that in batches when I have some more lads ready.

I agonized over what color to paint the jacket. The unit would have initially worn grey in the Sudan. New khaki uniforms were issued to all the troops in 1885, but the actual delivery of these supplies varied (some units didn't get enough to outfit the whole battalion and actually fought in mixed coats). Some units chose not to wear the new uniforms even when they received them. Finally, the Cameron Highlanders were one of several units ordered to wear their iconic red jackets at the Battle of Ginnis in December 1885. In the end, I chose khaki because that allowed me to prime the model with that color and supply base coats for the helmet, jacket, and spats all in one go.

My plans for the project is to use The Sword and the Flame, though the resulting collection will be flexible enough to use with any rule set (including Donnybrook). For those unfamiliar with the game, it is based on 20-model infantry and 12-model cavalry units, with a few extra leader figures for higher level formations.

My initial goal is a company of Cameron Highlanders. At the reduced scale for TSATF, that is two units of 20 (Lieutenant, Sergeant, and 18 Privates) plus a Captain and Master Sergeant.

There's more details on the project over at Quindia Studios as I wasn't sure how long of a rant to place here...

15 comments:

  1. Nice work Clarence and good to see you in the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Clarence, great start to the unit 👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely laddie Clarence. Looking forward to seeing how this project goes. Never look at figures at 300%, look at them from 2-6 feet away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking test figure,sounds like a smart choice with the khaki!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fine work indeed and a great start into this new project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great figure, nice work on the tartan!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, guys! More next week.. starting batch painting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful work Clarence. The tartan looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good work on the tartan and the jacket colour!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great test model Clarence. Only another 5 million or so to go until you catch up to Dave D :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work there Clarence looking forward to watching this project grow.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magnificent looking highlander. I can't wait to see the rest of his unit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Outstanding work! What a cool period.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely painting, reminds me of my dormant Sudan project (except I did the 42nd)

    ReplyDelete