Sunday, May 31, 2020

From MikeW: 28mm Ottoman Cavalry

Well this is my first post for quite some time as I have been struggling to get free time to paint.

It's a small three figure posting, but will be followed in the next day or so with another post - as I'm also nearly done with some Late 17th Century French Infantry...

So these little guys are representing Ottoman Heavy Cavalry in the late 17th Century, the figures were taken from a batch I got form eBay and were originally aimed to be Polish Winged Hussars.

However my collection is already pretty heavy in Winged Hussars and I have opted for the Warlord variety! These guys look generic enough to be any eastern heavy cavalry in my opinion!

So they are mounted on Hat Industrie - 28mm, Moorish plastic horses, these are good value at 12 per box. (I throw away the riders as I do not lie the figures, but you can often get these horses at less than 80p each - it all counts if working on a budget.

I added muskets, saddle holsters and bows and as ever I always use steel or brass spears for lances & pikes.

Added bow and Gripping Beast's Shield to this guy

The unseasonably hot weather in the UK has not done any
favours to the application of Army Painter's dip, will be adding some
thinners to get it to flow better on next batch

Second fella, simply added a bow to this one.

And a saddle holster, for his horse pistol

Final guy, he had a wheel lock Carbine added and a saddle holster

Angry end of an Ottoman Heavy CAvalryman!

13 comments:

  1. Nice conversions and very convincing as Ottomans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look excellent! Very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful conversions Mike! I really like those HaT horses. I may have misunderstood your post, are the riders from Warlord? They look terrific and I think I may steal this for my own Ottoman force.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curt, no the riders are not Warlord figures. I'm not 100% certain where they are from as I got them in 'job lots' from eBay but they appear to be old Wargames Foundry figures, supplied with a variety of horses. I really like the Warlord Polish Hussars so that is what I have standardised my Polish Hussars on, with a few Redoubt Officers & musicians thrown on to the mix to give variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well they look great and completely unique to your collection. :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks and also really like the overall loo of the conversions - excellent mix and match.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah...Ottomans! So cool, so powerful, so mysterious. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid conversions, the horses work really well, good looking spahis!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete